navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My dearest Sadie (A Civil War letter 1)
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic My dearest Sadie (A Civil War letter 1) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
paladin
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-08-05
Posts 930
Pensacola,Fl.

0 posted 2001-09-04 02:48 PM

I was rousted from my sleep by the deep voice of Corporal Tucker saying "time to get up,Captain". He handed me a cup of steaming coffee.I drank it slowly breathing in the aroma.It was the last of the coffee my mother sent me. I pulled on my boots and became aware of the men around me swiftly but carefully reading for battle.Major Parmenger came over and gave me the plan for our mission. We were to move in the trees on our side of the vally till we were well north of the Union forces left flank.We could not let them see us cross the valley into the trees on their side.We took the horses from the supply waggons an let our infantry hold them behind our lines.It was hoped that it woold make them believe we were holding our calvary in reserve. Once in the trees on the enemy side we Sent two riders south to secretly find the Union armies left flank. One rode ride back and led us to that point.The crossing was done well before sun rise and the we did not seem to be noticed. As the dawn broke we were in position. Hidden in the woods near the end of the Yankies left flank.They were too busy setting up their defences to cast an eye in our direction. I hoped they had fallen for the fake calvary behind the lines on our side of the valley.The Yanks Held their fire till our infantry was in range of their guns.I knew the attack had started for I could hear the roar of their cannons.Our few cannons answered with fewer shoots.Cannon balls and powder are at a premium but our boys made ever shot count.
    The sun was fully up and is burned the fog from the valley.I saw the long grey line of our army emerging like ghosts from a bad dream toward the Union lines.We drew our revolvers and swords and held the horses reins in our mouths. The morning sun glinted on the blades of bannonets and I saw the flash of swords as they swept forward and heard the officers shout "For Virgina and the cause".
The air was filled with the banshee wail of the rebel yell and army surged toward the enemy breast works.A flag bearer was hit and as he fell the flag was swept up by another.Our Major raised his sword and thrusted it forward.Our mounts lunged forward pletly by surprise. We emptyed our revolvers and begain riding down the foot soldiers with our swords. Our sabers rose and fell and men fell like sheaves of wheat.
    Before us I saw an artillery battery and I looked around for guidance from the major.I could not see him. I ordered the men to dismount and we rushed the position. After a short fight the men on the cannons threw up their hands in surrender. The position was on high ground over looking the Union flank. I could only see the backs of the men on the breast works. I was struck with an idea. I ordered my men to swing the cannons to bear on the Yankie brest works. One of my men shouted "Hell Cap we don't know how to fire these things and I don't belive we are going to get the blue bellys to use them on their own people". I told them to tie the Union men to the carriages of the cannons. They had choosen to surrender reather than dieing so I suspected they would not let us over load a cannon if they knew it would blow up and kill them too.
After a couple of shots fired short and long my boys were putting a few balls into the men on the breast works. Our infantry had been pinned down before the breast work and was takeing heavey loses.
The Union officers ordered some of their men off the breast works to stop us. It lessened the fire on our lines enough for them to press forward and attack the remaining men on the breastworks in hand to hand fighting. I ordered my men to depress the cannon mussles and fire cannister shot directly into the on comming attackers. Their flank broke on the left side and our infanry begain to roll it up.
The Union forces fell back from the breast works in full rout to the trees behind them. Our army fired from the cover of the breast works and after a while only light fire from the enemy convinced us they had had enough and would not counter attack.
   The valley was ours.We had opened the road and General Lee could march his Army north.We captured a lot of cannons with much need shot and powder.We will give it back to the yankies when we meet them again.

Your most humle servant
Captain Robert E. Jackson
1st Calvary,Army of Northern Virgina

paladin

[This message has been edited by paladin (edited 09-06-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Robert E. Jackson - All Rights Reserved
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
1 posted 2001-10-10 10:52 AM

Paladin~
This is wonderfully done.
You write it so realistically.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
   noles1@totcon.com              

MoonShadow
since 2001-08-02
Posts 943
Dark side of the Moon.
2 posted 2007-01-30 03:02 PM

Almost places one there with its beautifully painted imagery. You can feel the emotion as well as the tension. Extremely strong narrative.
            Well Done!

MoonShadow

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
3 posted 2007-01-30 09:49 PM

A most profound write.
Very much enjoyed.
You are missed here.

In the midst of winter,
I found there lives within me..
An invincible summer.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2007-10-21 06:21 PM

Nice writing...James
Signature
since 2007-10-21
Posts 3

5 posted 2007-10-21 07:30 PM

job well done, enjoyed your writing
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » My dearest Sadie (A Civil War letter 1)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary