navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Think I Love My Children Best---------
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Think I Love My Children Best--------- Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Constance
since 2001-07-28
Posts 393
Ohio

0 posted 2001-07-29 01:04 PM

I Think I Love My Children Best-----
     I think I love my children best when they are sleeping angels.  The look of innocence, so plain to see on their little faces.  Lovely, unruly hair showing off on pure white pillowslips.  Little fingers clutching satin-edged blankets, or a dime, or a fuzzy pink bunny that plays lullabyes.  My babies may sometimes forget to say their prayers, and yet such faith they have that they never doubt the morning.  Instead, they sleep well and deep, and dream dreams.

Perhaps I love my children best when they come in from playing in the snow.  This is when eyes are brightest and cheeks pinkest.  This is when toes are coldest and hearts warmest.  Like all mothers, I watch out windows and count heads, while these small beings waddle about- building igloos and fat snowmen--and of course I wonder if they have sense enough to come in before noses and earlobes freeze.

But then, in they come, waving soggy mittens at me and complaining of the cold, (now that they are out of it), and there I am, fetching cream for chapped faces, rubbing feeling back into fingers and toes.

And then my favorite time comes-- as they giggle and chatter over good, hot chocolate and I watch contentedly, thinking how much my children love winter, and how very much I love them.

I suppose I can't decide when I really love my children best, because far too many precious, tender moments come to mind----anyway, I know it doesn't matter when I love my children best, but only that I do.

© Copyright 2001 Constance M. Lessard - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2001-07-29 03:14 PM

Constance--Tenderly written and the conclusion, so true!
Constance
since 2001-07-28
Posts 393
Ohio
2 posted 2001-07-29 03:46 PM

Thank you Martie. I wrote this long ago, (the youngest of my three babies is now thirty and with her own babies). Another of them died just ten days after her first child entered the world. That's why I'm glad to have written this.  It makes me remember with such sweetness, when I still had them all.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2001-07-30 09:21 AM

Constance, this piece obviously shows me your multi-faceted talent... You're good.. Do keep posting your wonderful work for our perusing pleasure...
Constance
since 2001-07-28
Posts 393
Ohio
4 posted 2001-07-30 10:43 AM

Nan, thanks for the wonderful welcome and the kind words.  I lost my poetry for a while after Heather died, but I'm beginning to write again and as you know, one who writes needs to breathe, eat, and write, (not necessarily in that order). I was never confident enough to share my work before, but you and others here have eased my fears--thanks again.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » I Think I Love My Children Best---------

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary