navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Two Most Important People
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Two Most Important People Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Words_of_Glitter
since 2000-10-25
Posts 90
USA

0 posted 2001-06-27 01:29 PM

I replace the phone on the receiver, but what I really wanted to do was hurl it against a wall. "Stay calm," I told myself. "Life goes on." But it felt like it wouldn't and I knew I couldn't keep my feelings bottled up inside. I picked the phone back up and wiped it off with my shirt. It was still warm and damp from my tears. I slowly dialed the number, unsure of whether I was ready for this. I hung up the phone quickly. Maybe I needed some time to recuperate. No, I need someone to talk to, I reasoned. The phone reappeared in my hand. I dreaded calling my best friend the way a teenager dreads calling their crush for the first time. On the other end, someone said, "Hello?" I sucked in my breath.
"Hi, is Erin home?"
"Yeah she just pulled in the drive. Hang on a minute, ok?" It was her little sister, Beth, that had answered. I could hear their mom in the background... "Erin. Erin, turn around and look at me! I don't think what you are doing is right and I don't want you to think I condone it for one second. You are grounded! When you get off the phone, we're going to talk some more, understand?"
Erin blew all the breath out of her lungs before speaking, "Hey Josie, what's up?"
"Hey Erin. What's up with the sixth-sense? I know you don't have caller ID."
"I was just expecting you to call, I guess. We haven't talked for awhile. Hang on, I'm gonna run upstairs." I tapped my nails on the counter. Erin's matter-of-fact attitude usually kept my mind off the situation at hand, but today it was causing some slight annoyance. "Okay. So, what is going on?"
"Erin, Steve just broke up with me! I don't know what to do or how to get him back! We were so perfect for each other and I still love him so much." I knew that my voice was whiny and weak, but there wasn't much I could do. I pulled the box of Kleenex's to my side, preparing for the fresh flood of tears that I was about to release.
"Oh Josie, that is terrible. I am sorry. I can't believe he did that to you! What a jerk! I don't see why you would want to get back with someone that dumped you though, because you know that they broke up with you for a reason and if you do get back together, you'll always be the one liking them more."
"I know, but I don't know if I can manage without him. He was so great! I don't think I could find another guy that will treat me so well."
"Treat you so well?" Erin scoffed. "What about the time he stood you up to hang out with Melissa?"
"Her grandma had just died!" I argued.
"Well, I just don't think you should worry about it. People always say that the person they are with is so great and then when they get dumped, they worry that they won't find someone else as great, but what happens? The next person is usually even greater!"
"That's true," I agreed. "Well, do you think I could come over or something? I don't really feel like being alone. What a crappy time for my mom to go to Puerto Vallarta on business! Business. I bet. Anyways, how about it?" Silence. "Erin?"
"Oh Josie, I wish we could hang out, but I am grounded."
"Well, I think if you explained to your mom what just happened, she would understand. Your mom loves me."
"You don't understand. This time, she is really upset. But just don't worry about it, okay? You'll be over him before tomorrow starts. I really have to go now. Bye." She hung up.
I couldn't believe the way she had acted. I would've thought that my best friend in the whole world would know what to say to make me feel better, but instead she made me feel like a little kid whose feelings didn't matter. Like it had been puppy love. But Steve and I had been together for 2 years. We were each other's first everything and we were so happy all the time. I never questioned our relationship, so where had it gone wrong? It made me ache inside to know that I would have to pass him in the halls at school the next day and sit beside him in Calculus and never say a word to him, never reach over and touch his arm, never recognize the fact that I had known him since we were kids. I knew the type of person that Steve was. He would just want to move on and relieve himself of all contact from me. That hurt the most. How can someone just forget like that?

I seriously jumped out of bed the next morning. I knew that if I would've hit the Snooze button even one time, I'd never get up. My alarm had went off an hour earlier than usual, but I had went to bed early the night before to prepare myself. I had to look so good today. I had to. Then Steve would look at me, realize how beautiful I still was, and want to be with me again.
I stepped into the school building wearing my favorite outfit and I kept my head up, confidently looking into everyone's eyes. Inside, I was crumbling. My breath caught in my throat as I saw Steve, but I didn't have time to stare. My friend, Becca, came bouncing over. She was always in high spirits and I knew she had no clue that me and Steve had broken up.
"HEY!!!!!!!!!! How was your weekend?" Becca asked me. I just gave her my "blah" stare. "Did you and Erin go over to Steve's yesterday?"
"No. Why?" It didn't make sense to me. Why would she ask me that?
"Well, I saw Erin's car over there and didn't figure she'd hang out with him by herself, so I thought you two went together."
Her mom was upset with what she had been doing, her car was over at Steve's, Steve broke up with me, Erin expected and knew that I would call, neither one had wanted to hang out lately and Erin was so nonchalant about the fact that her best friend's heart had just been broken. I felt like I was going to retch at the realization of it all. Everything came together and as quickly as that, I was over Steve.

"Do not marry the one that you can live with. Marry the one you cannot live without."

[This message has been edited by Words_of_Glitter (edited 06-27-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Sarah Morehouse - All Rights Reserved
Sharon
since 2001-06-04
Posts 53
Within a whisper
1 posted 2001-06-27 09:15 PM

Really an excellent story!! I hope you write more!
Hill's_Chatabox
since 2001-07-10
Posts 46
USA
2 posted 2001-07-11 01:30 PM

Great Story!!!! I know your next story will be even better... keep writing and never let anyone critize your writings.
~Hill~

Shoot for the moon cause if you miss you'll still end up in the *stars*!!!

SunShine913
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-08-19
Posts 211
Italy but from NC
3 posted 2002-08-26 03:36 PM

i wish i would have found this sooner this great

*!~!* Andrea *!~!*
             soon to be mother    

Match
since 2002-07-01
Posts 286
Canada Edmonton
4 posted 2002-08-26 08:19 PM

Loved it
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » The Two Most Important People

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary