navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Hearts Pictures for Words
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic Hearts Pictures for Words Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Snow
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-10-16
Posts 1170
desert flower looking for rain

0 posted 2001-02-02 01:25 AM

Hearts Pictures for Words

It had been a long, exhausting day for Virginia. The grandchildren all came over to help in clearing out Grandpa's belongings from the garage. The girls wanted to help Gram with his clothes, but Ginny (as her beloved had always called her) wanted to do that alone.

That evening, after the children left, she headed for the bedroom that her and Charlie had shared for 52 years. Turning on the beside light, she sat down on his side of the bed. Funny how she could still feel his warmth. Her hand slid across his nightstand, fingers brushing his pipe as it lay there...waiting, as she still does.

Leaning down she opened the table drawer. Until this moment Ginny had always left Charlie's night table alone. It was his space, where he kept mementos from the war, and the journal that she could still see him writing so diligently in every night. Closing her eyes for a moment, as she touched the soft tan leather of the journal, he was there at the desk by the window, hunched over. Deep in thought he was, his pipe burning away at its dottle in the ashtray next to him. His pen flew across the pages, as if he had to hurry before forgetting all that he wanted to remember. "Heart's pictures for words" he would often tell her. Heart's pictures for words, Ginny could hear herself repeating softly.

Plumping up the pillows on the bed, Ginny sat back. Putting her reading glasses on, she breathed deeply and prepared to plunge into these heart's pictures that her dear husband had treasured. Carefully sealed onto that first page was the first letter that Ginny had written to a much younger Charlie, when he had to leave because of the war, telling him that she would always wait for him to return. Ginny smiled at the young girl's handwriting, and at the little hearts that had been drawn in such a hurry. She had been so very afraid that she would miss his bus, and never be able to tell him how she felt.

On the following pages were his accounts of the days when he was gone, and how his thoughts were only of the beautiful red head, with a smile that could make any mortal man fly. Her eyes filled with tears a few times, and she often thought that maybe she should put the journal away for now, that it was too soon after sending him home... and yet... Ginny knew this was something that she had to do.

Then, there were three letters. All basically the same, all written to her, with scribbles, and words crossed out and added -- drafts of the one that Ginny herself kept safe in her own journal.. The letter that had accompanied a very special gift.
The day that had she received the parcel will forever be etched in her mind.

...Sitting on the stoop, waiting for the mail..as she did every day since Charlie left...Ginny was more than eager when the postman handed her the brown wrapped package. Ripping the paper off, inside she found a little cedar box, and inside that box was the most exquisite pin she had seen. A black onyx swan, with a diamond for an eye. Along with the pin, there was a note that read...

My Dearest Ginny,
Did you know that a swan will mate for life?
Upon my return from this war, I would like
it very much, if you would do me the honor
of becoming my swan, my mate...for life?

With Much Love,
Yours, Charlie

A tear escaped, at the memory.

Through the rest of the journal, there were accounts of their life together, their 3 children ... and 7 grandchildren. But, what stood out most clearly in the pages, were the occasional mentions of the beautiful black swans at the lake at Iris Gardens. Charlie wrote of them often...especially of the one that was alone. He felt a great sadness for this swan, without a mate. He wondered why... Had this beautiful creature just not met her yet, or had he already had that great once in a lifetime love, and she was now gone.. passed on?

At these words, Ginny's heart tightened, feeling a great sadness... and she realized that her hand had moved to the left side of her chest. She was caressing her pin, the swan that she had worn every day of her life together with Charlie.

Not sure what she was going to do, but knowing she needed to be there, Ginny pulled herself together. Journal in hand, she headed off to the gardens.

It was a glorious day, the sun was shining but not so strongly that you couldn't enjoy it. There were soft billowy clouds against an azure sky. The fragrance from Iris Gardens was heaven sent. Already Ginny can feel her tensions easing as she heads down the path, strolling along and feeling her Charlie very near to her. Up ahead she notices a young couple sitting on a bench, fingers caressing fingers, eyes speaking where no words are needed. Between them a tall glass of lemonade with two straws entwined, reminding her of the reason she had come here: to see the swans.

As she got closer to the couple Ginny had started to feel a little flush, and needed to sit down for a spell. Devon and Meghan welcomed Ginny to their bench, and offered her some lemonade from a cooler, which she thankfully took. Introductions were made, and in a short time the young couple felt as though they knew this very special woman whose eyes sparkled so as she spoke of her late husband, and of his 'Heart's Pictures for Words' that had brought her once again to this place.

After a while, rested, Ginny stood to leave, thanking them for their kindness and wishing them joy and happiness in their love.

As Ginny walked away Meghan felt a pull, some connection that told her she would see this remarkable woman again. Although she wasn't sure when, or how, still she somehow knew ... that it would happen. She could still hear that soft voice, faint traces of a southern childhood in a time long past evident, speaking: "Swans... they mate for life, you know. That was Charlie and me. A pair of swans, forever."

Upon arriving at the lake, Ginny took a few moments to let her eyes adjust to the glare of the sun off the water. And, just as she finally opened them without pain... she noticed him. All alone to her right... the most amazing black swan that she had ever seen. Moving down the bank to get a closer look, Ginny's heart pounded fiercely in her chest. Why on earth was this creature affecting her so strongly? As she sat at the edge the swan came towards her. Now, right in front of her... she looked into his eyes... and she saw what only her heart knew she had been looking for...

After a time, Meghan and Devon had decided that they would check and make sure that Ginny was all right. They had not seen her pass by them on a return trip, and it was getting late. Leaving her in the park alone was simply unthinkable, and so they made their way down to the lake.

Looking around they couldn't find any sign of her. Meghan felt drawn to the edge of the lake... and holding Devon's hand tightly she went in that direction.

On the bank they found Charlie's journal open, with Ginny's ebony and diamond pin laying on top.

Meghan picked it up and saw her name:

Dear Meghan and Devon,
No matter how busy your life becomes,
Never forget to record your hearts pictures
for words. May you always have your love,
your mate.....your swan

Ginny

Grasping the black swan pin in her hand, Meghan searched the lake. There, just to her right, necks entwined... were two black swans... whose eyes sparkled like the diamond in the pin.

January 10th, 2000
re-edit May 24th, 2000
Snow

"...I am a river in winter,quiet in the eyes of most butdeep,swift and full of life to one, lucky enough to fall through the ice."
from "Watercouse" by: Snow

[This message has been edited by Snow (edited 02-02-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Snow - All Rights Reserved
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

1 posted 2001-02-03 08:40 PM

Oh wow!! This is such a beautiful love story, and extremely well-written. I'm typing this through tears! Thanks for sharing.

"Where there is great love there are always miracles" -Cather
"Love heals everything, and love is all there is"- Zukav

Snow
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-10-16
Posts 1170
2 posted 2001-02-03 09:25 PM

LoveBug, thank you so much for that reply.. this piece is so very special to me and your comment means a great deal.

Snow

Robert Joseph
since 2000-10-07
Posts 491
South Carolina
3 posted 2001-02-04 10:23 AM

I love your heart in these words...always a joy to read. Lovely work, Neve.

Robert Joseph
       ~enb~

Snow
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-10-16
Posts 1170
4 posted 2001-02-05 10:47 PM

it's because of you I could write this, Robert. thank you, for everything love.

Neve

Ratleader
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-01-23
Posts 7026
Visiting Earth on a Guest Pass
5 posted 2005-06-17 09:13 AM

A challenge from Ed -- spend a moment today, thinking about how we should treat a good person who is one of PiP's finest poets....if not this one, then one of your choice....it seems we need to.
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
6 posted 2005-06-17 01:19 PM

Oh my ... for whatever reason this beauty popped to the top ... I am ever-grateful~

LadySnow~
This is just another facet of your talents~

I was reminded of my reads of Nicholas Sparks~

This is a treasure of a write~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*When the heart grieves over what it has lost,
the spirit rejoices over what it has left.
- Sufi epigram <))><

Email noles1@totcon.com

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » Hearts Pictures for Words

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary