navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » That's Life
Passions in Prose
Post A Reply Post New Topic That's Life Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2001-01-06 06:55 PM

Most of the ideas found in the narrative are not mine.  They are those of the main character.  Don't worry, I'm usually not as self-righteous as James is.  So, forgive me if I make any of you angry.

James Olritch was a fairly normal and decent boy.  He lived in the northern mountains of British Columbia.  The only problem with his life was that he found it to be way too boring.  He wanted to do something with his life, which he had never thought of before.  Right now, though, he had no idea just what that was.  The only thing he knew for certain was that this world was just too boring.  Nobody did anything of interest.  The only people who did do things that were remotely interesting were shunned.  They didn’t conform to the norm.  They didn’t live for the almighty majesty of the ephemeral god of the dollar.  Neither did James.

“What is the capital of Iceland?” Mrs. Cuthaway asked.  She was looking straight at James.  

James did not answer.  He was, as always, lost in his own world.  

“How about you,” Mrs. Cuthaway said, receiving an accompanying laughter from the rest of the social studies class.  “James.  Do you know what the capital of Iceland is?”

James was startled out of his fantasy world, and brought back into the real world.  He felt the usual mundane coldness, which accompanies anything from Earth.  And all around him, he saw only a single colour in all the intentions and devices of this world – green.  

“Reykjavik,” James said mechanically.

“Good,” Mrs Cuthaway said.  “I’m surprised that you can even remember such things when all you do in my class is daydream.  Perhaps you would have better grades if you paid more attention.”

“Yeah,” James said, “whatever.”

He was not in the mood to do too much serious worldly thinking.  He was getting tired of all the meaningless lives that were being led by the majority of the human race.  He did not want to be counted among them by conforming to whatever the world was currently into.  Now, more than ever, he wanted to do something of interest with his life.

When the school day was over, James walked back to his house.  He didn’t want to take the bus home on a Friday.  It was his reward to himself for getting through yet another boring week of life on Earth.  

As he walked along the darkened forest path, he came across some local kid.  He was really scruffy looking.  Oh great, James thought, here’s another boring person who thinks that beating up on interesting people is a good purpose in life.

“Yer that stupid kid from school,” the scruffy kid said, “ain’t ya?”

James just stood there, saying nothing.  This is probably the day I die, James thought to himself.  But I want to do something with my life!  But James just decided that it probably wouldn’t be worth it.  

“Answer me when I ask you something, fool!” the kid said.

James just kept standing there, waiting for his death.  But it never came.  The exchange ended in the poor excuse for a human with purpose saying, “if you pass through here again, I’ll break all your fingers.”

James walked on home, without further incident.  He was angry at the world.  But he had no idea what to do with his life.  Was there any other thing one could do with one’s life?  James was a Christian.  That seemed to be the only thing left to live for.  But so many were saying that the Bible was a book of fairy tails, and that people had no souls.  Oh well, James thought, you’ve gotta defend living a boring life without anything to do but make money somehow.

When James arrived at home, his mother chastised him for being so late, and then gave him stew for supper.  James ate the stew, and then went to bed.

He sat up until four o’clock in the morning, writing.  He wrote in his journal.  He wrote stories of adventures in worlds that were far more exciting and wonderful than Earth.  The stories went on forever.  

James thought of the right wing.  I pity those poor thumpers, he thought to himself.  They lived such a rigid life, trying to please God by living the most boring life possible.  I wonder what they’ll do in heaven, James thought.  James knew exactly what they’d do in heaven.  If what the book of revelation said was true, then they’d be right there, on their knees for all eternity, singing songs found in the Bible.  They’d never get up for the rest of eternity.  Oh well, thought James, I’d rather see their rear ends once in a while, than to have to look into their faces and listen to them chastise me for living an interesting life in eternity...

James wrote that down.  He then just wrote and wrote.  It was his escape from Earth.  He hoped that someday, people would find these writings and start leading exciting lives as well.

But for now, all that there was was money.

[This message has been edited by fractal007 (edited 01-06-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Dawn Eclipse
since 2000-01-31
Posts 637
The Horsehead Nebula
1 posted 2001-01-07 09:57 PM

Interesting tale.  Life can be pretty boring, can't it?  Writing is one way to escape it, though I prefer reading myself.  So I read your story!  ehehehhe.. nice job.  

"Forget regret, or life is yours to miss. No other course, no other way... No day but today"
~Broadway Musical RENT~

*Cassandra Roseen*

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2001-01-08 12:32 PM

Dawn Eclipse:

Thankyou for the compliments.  I, too enjoy reading to escape reality.  Though, I think that writing is the best way if you wish that reality were more like some construct that's in your own mind.

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

3 posted 2010-06-21 08:14 PM

ff
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Passions in Prose » That's Life

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary