navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Supernatural Poetcraft
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Supernatural Poetcraft Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada

0 posted 2002-08-17 01:33 PM

How do so many poets here produce excellent work so prolifically, posting even daily.  It takes me weeks just to write something that borders on being poetry!  Its uncanny...I will get to the bottom of this, someday..

© Copyright 2002 Essorant - All Rights Reserved
NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
1 posted 2002-08-17 02:07 PM

Well, I don't know how they do it either -- natural muse given talent I guess. I'm with you, it takes me days/weeks to write something. And I agonize over every word.

Awhile back I co-wrote a poem with a cutie on this board.  I had started a poem weeks before and was having trouble finishing it - so I sent it to him and within 15 minutes he sent it back - DONE, FABULOUS!!!! I am still flabbergasted!

So, if you learn the secret, will you share it? PLEASE!!!

Hugs, Marti

"Even if life is full of thorns,
I still embrace it, for I know
that in between those thorns,
there is a rose worth all the pain."

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2002-08-17 02:27 PM

A lot of reading lends to a lot more inspire...at least that's what I get from spending some years around here...I will not say what I post is good, but what I will say is that I like to share...whether it be good, spontaneous, whimsical, or just, because...

but it's long been said, practice makes perfect, and can I help it if my many muses won't let me sleep?   ...

Once I get down to the real reason behind the prolificacy, I will share it with you.  I refuse, however, to bottle and sell it...because as stated above, I share...

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

3 posted 2002-08-17 02:40 PM

ya know Essorant...I ask my moody damn muse that SAME question everyday
Toad
since 2002-06-16
Posts 161

4 posted 2002-08-17 03:11 PM

I’m not so sure people here do produce excellent work so prolifically, I suppose it’s down to your definition of excellence and the type of poetry you are using as a qualitative reference. Measured against similar sites on the Internet the level of quality is fairly good overall, with a reasonable proportion falling into the category of excellent. However if pitched against classic or established contemporary poetry there would, in my opinion, be only a handful of our members that could seriously even hope to compete.

Is the speed of writing a factor?

I don’t think so, as long as time is taken to edit and re-work, the writing is the easy part.

Anvrill
since 2002-06-21
Posts 710
in the interzone now
5 posted 2002-08-18 03:37 PM

When I write, it just explodes. I equate it to an embolism. Just as destructive, too!

I can go months without writing a word (jus' ask Mike!), then I'm writing a chapter of my latest novel and a poem (or two) and a song (or five) every day for a week, then I get back to a sane speed, then I go dry again.

Grr. Makes me wanna beat myself senseless. S'not fair!

But yeh, when I right, it's just a major explosion of stuff that's been building up. I swear, it's gonna kill me someday.

impress me, or be discarded

mpc

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

6 posted 2002-08-19 11:31 AM

A combination of vision, talent, and boredom.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Supernatural Poetcraft

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary