navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Question because I'm nosey...
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Question because I'm nosey... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA

0 posted 2002-04-09 11:21 PM

I was looking at the resident poet list on www.netpoet.com .......  how do you get on the list?

© Copyright 2002 Tara Baldridge - All Rights Reserved
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
1 posted 2002-04-10 12:16 PM

You have a poem published on the main site. You can do that by submitting a poem - see that little yellow box with a blue arrow (right there in that line with your email notification icon and your ICQ icon)? Click on that when you want to submit your poem to the main site.

Ron is doing a major upload soon so I'd wait a few weeks...

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

2 posted 2002-04-10 12:23 PM

What determines if a poem is then selected to the main site?
Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
3 posted 2002-04-10 12:42 PM

Severn screens all submissions to insure they meet her standards for grammatical correctness. She then forwards those she approves to Ron. This is the true reason it has been so long since any new poems have been added. All this time and the only ones she has sent him is her own. Kind of sad really, but Ron gave her this power not realiz(s)ing how it would go to her head.

Maybe after she gets her masters.....

heh
ps... this is of course BS

cheers
J

There is society where none intrudes, by the deep sea, and music in its roar.
byron

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2002-04-10 05:11 AM

If you submit it, it will be published. The forum poetry is usually spellchecked (one of the reasons a poem may be rejected is because the poet didn't take the time to carefully check the spelling).

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2002-04-10 06:47 AM

Submissions are proofread, then posted - provided they meet the same standards we have here in the forums.  No violent or suicidal works will be posted.  

It's a great place to showcase your work.  Far more readers visit the main site than we have here in the forums...

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
6 posted 2002-04-10 09:11 AM

Okay... I know I'm blonde... but am I blind, too? *G* I've looked all over the place and have yet to see any "little yellow box with a blue arrow"... not even when I open a new topic window? What am I missing? (besides my wits? LOL)

Truly... I'm clueless how to submit to the main site.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2002-04-10 10:09 AM

The icon looks like this:

It will ONLY appear on poems, and only for people with more than 100 posts. Our forum Members get greater consideration both because of the support they've given PiP and because their work presumably will require little or no editing. I spend an inordinate amount of my time fixing poetry submitted to the main site, usually changing homonyms like there to their or correcting non-words like alot or alright. Okay, so I'm anal. But it's always a pleasure to get stuff from the forums because I know it will generally be of higher quality.

However -

As many of you already know, the main site went through a fairly major software update last month, including a lot of new features and some fairly substantial changes in the way data is stored in the database. Unfortunately, those changes are incompatible with the much older software here in our forums. While the icon above will still appear on poems in the forums, clicking it will only present you with a message that it is currently disabled. I need to finish updating the main site, then I can rewrite that forum module to make it compatible with the way the main site software expects poems to be submitted.

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
8 posted 2002-04-10 10:52 AM

Thanks, Ron... I was looking for something to click on in the new topic box as I was submitting a poem... I went back to some of my already posted stuff and found the yellow box. *S*

But I have another question... There is a resident poet on the main site named suthern... and it's not me. Does that mean I won't be able to submit from the forums? Assuming, that is, that I ever write anything worth submitting? LOL

You may be anal, but I'm paranoid... perhaps it's a holdover from that old theory that a woman living alone doesn't list her phone number. LOL At any rate, I'm not overly fond of having my real name bandied about cyberspace... Help? *S*

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
9 posted 2002-04-10 11:16 AM

Duplicate pen names aren't a problem at all. Karilea changed hers from Sunshine to Sunshine KRJ just to avoid confusion, but the software doesn't care. With some common names, like Amy or Jessica, you can find half a score of different authors using the same name. It's usually only confusing to them and their friends who come looking for them.

The software only cares about the email address. THAT has to be unique for each author.

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
10 posted 2002-04-10 11:30 AM

Thanks, Ron!!!! *S* Email addy isn't a problem... and the other "suthern" only posted once so any confusion should be minimal. *S*

Now finding a poem to send out into the world... THAT's a problem! LOL

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Question because I'm nosey...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary