navwin » Discussion » Q & A » semi colons
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic semi colons Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Masked Intruder
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 Tours
since 1999-05-23
Posts 1231
Near golden sunsets

0 posted 2002-01-01 07:19 AM

Hey Ron or someone.  Why do semicolons do the things that they apparently do to some people and not to others?  According to Lily B, if she uses a semicolon everything after the semicolon is deleted.  Why is that?  Can she go around that?  I'd hate to have to have her use ellipses for the rest of her passionate life.  *grin* *hickup*

© Copyright 2002 Philip Zemler - All Rights Reserved
Masked Intruder
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 Tours
since 1999-05-23
Posts 1231
Near golden sunsets
1 posted 2002-01-01 07:20 AM

/pip/Forum46/HTML/001520.html

This is what I'm talking about.  I think.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2002-01-01 08:41 AM

with semicolons:

Dear Philip; what is it about these pesky guys; that would wreak havoc;on an unsuspecting poet; such as Lily B.?

without:
Dear Philip what is it about these pesky guys that would wreak havoc on an unsuspecting poet such as Lily B.?

REALLY odd.

And odder still..when I wrote this, I clicked on the preview and all I got were the words UP TO the first semi colon - I saw nothing after that..but it is all here now....curious.

[This message has been edited by Poet deVine (01-01-2002 08:42 AM).]

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
3 posted 2002-01-01 01:19 PM

Hello everyone; I hope you all have a wonderful New Year!
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
4 posted 2002-01-01 01:20 PM

This is a test; it is only a test.

This is a test, it is only a test. I saw the same thing, Sharon.

God bless America, my home sweet home.

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
5 posted 2002-01-01 05:28 PM

Hi Philip ... I remembered Ron commenting on this issue a while back. In that situation, the semi-colon problem did not affect the viewing of the post itself on the normal page, but rather, when the person tried to "preview" their post, as Sharon and Elizabeth noted above also.

When talking about the preview window, Ron mentioned that:
quote:
The popup window is called by a short Javascript routine. In JS, the semicolon has a special meaning, signifying End Of Line. You want to guess where your post was being terminated? You got it! When it hits a semicolon, the code considers that the End Of Line and simply stops, effectively truncating the rest of your preview.

He also noted that to get around it, one could ...:  
quote:
...temporarily change the semicolons to another character, just for the preview. You would see "almost" what your full post looks like, with the understanding the semicolons would be changed back for the actual post.

That was a little while ago, so I don't know if anything has changed since then, but essentially, you can use semi-colons throughout your work, no problem ... it will just give you a problem viewing your post from the preview pop-up window.  I hope that helps.    

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (01-01-2002 05:38 PM).]

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2002-01-04 04:29 AM

wow...I am a semi-colon junkie now that Kamla has gotten me off of the ellipses...(oops) sort of. I did notice this problem awhile back, but me being me, I thought it was just ME!!! So glad to know that I'm NOT crazy....no matter what the rest of the voices say!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » semi colons

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary