navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Background Colors
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Background Colors Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone

0 posted 2001-09-13 11:08 AM

What exactly are the 2 different shades in our background color?

I've tried:
"33ccff"
"66ccff"
"99ccff"
"ccccff"
"ccffff"

....and they come close but they don't match any of em.

hi Sweets, Lizzy, Kris, Ina, Allysa, Erica, Minna, Kit, Kamie, Javi, Jenn, Sharon, Nan, Cawlee, Cherish, Ashley, Sara, Justine, Leah, Jess, Kimmie, Ma

© Copyright 2001 acire - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2001-09-13 05:58 PM

It's been so long, you know I honestly don't remember.

But if you do a "View Source" and look for a bgcolor, I'll bet the answer could be found...

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
2 posted 2001-09-13 07:53 PM

I can't seem to make it work Ron  

hi Sweets, Lizzy, Kris, Ina, Allysa, Erica, Minna, Kit, Kamie, Javi, Jenn, Sharon, Nan, Cawlee, Cherish, Ashley, Sara, Justine, Leah, Jess, Kimmie, Ma

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 2001-09-13 08:40 PM

#ffffff

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2001-09-14 04:55 AM

Well, those two I DO remember, Nan, 'cause they're so common.

The numbers are not without meaning, nor is it all that tough to figure out. Each two "digits" represents a color, ranging from 00 (no color) to ff (fully saturated). The left-most digits are red, so a number like ff0000 mean we want a color with all red and no other color - bright red, in other words. The middle digits are for green, so 00ff00 would be our fully saturated green. That leaves the last two digits for blue, giving 0000ff for a pure blue. Going to the next step, it's not much different than mixing paints when we were in grade school - ff00ff means we want a lot of red and a lot of blue, giving us a pretty bright shade of purple (almost fuchsia). Most of the independent colors on the WWW, what you and I see every day, is determined by 256 possible shades of red, 256 possible shades of green, and 256 possible shades of blue - all mixed together for over sixteen million possible combinations.

So, the two colors Nan dug out of the source code are pretty easy to recognize. If you completely saturate something with all hues (#ffffff is as high as you can get), you end up with pure white. The other one, #000080, is half way up the blue spectrum, so that's our darker, navy blue.

I think the two shades of blue you want, acire, are #ddf0ff and #c1dffd.

(For the purists - when I said mixing colors was little different than mixing paints like we did in school, I was simplifying almost to the point of being wrong. There are some pretty big differences. If you take buckets of blue, red, and yellow and mix them equally you should come up with something pretty close to black. Yet, when we mix our three primary colors, we come up with pure white?

The differences arise from the medium. Most of what we see in the world, like paint, is actually a reflected surface. Light hits the paint, some is absorbed, and the rest is reflected to our eyes. We "see" the colors that weren't absorbed. This is called the "additive" color theory and it's what we learned in school. There are, however, a few real-world objects like computer monitors, televisions, and photo developers that contain their OWN light source. Instead of seeing reflected light, what wasn't absorbed, we see what is emitted. For those few objects, we have to use the "subtractive" color theory.)

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
5 posted 2001-09-14 06:58 AM

Hmmm... Some smart friend of mine once said that, "No matter how much you know about computers, there's always more to learn"...

How come I didn't see all that stuff when I did the 'view source'?...

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
6 posted 2001-09-14 09:57 AM

me too  

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
7 posted 2001-09-16 10:03 AM

try this one....I take a snapshot and found this numbers shows up at my colorscreen.

lightblue= #D0EFFF
blue= #BFDFFF

Charisma

Oops didn't read Ron's answer, and think he shows the answers already.  

[This message has been edited by Charisma (edited 09-16-2001).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Background Colors

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary