navwin » Discussion » Q & A » What is....
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic What is.... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ESP
Member Elite
since 2000-01-25
Posts 2556
Floating gently on a cloud....

0 posted 2000-07-12 02:12 PM

Just a quick question:

What is kudos?
I have seen this word twice and I have no idea what it means....someone enlight me (and please don't call me dumb for not knowing!!).

Love and hugs,
Lizzie

"Poetry is the true expression of my soul, it is my ultimate means of communication. It is my rainbow of delight."

© Copyright 2000 ESP - All Rights Reserved
Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
1 posted 2000-07-12 03:25 PM

I've always thought "kudos" meant good work and congratulations.. but my handy dandy dictionary says "glory/renown"

Hope that clears things up, LOL

Abrahm Simons

"Keep on dreamin' boy 'cause when you stop dreaming it's time to die" - Blind Melon

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
2 posted 2000-07-12 03:26 PM

Here ya go Lizzie--

Acclaim or praise for exceptional achievement.

[Greek magical glory.]
Kudos is one of those words like congeries that look like plurals but are
       etymologically singular: correctness requires Kudos is (not are) due her for her brilliant
       work on the score. Some writers have tried to defend the use of kudos with a plural
       verb, or even the introduction of a new singular form of kudo, on the grounds that these
       innovations follow the pattern whereby the English words pea and cherry were re-formed
       from nouns ending in -s that were thought to be plural. Perhaps the singular kudo would
       have to be acknowledged as a legitimate formation if it came to be widely adopted in the
       popular language in the way that cherry and pea have. But at present kudos is still
       regarded as a slightly pretentious variant for praise and can scarcely claim to be part of
       the linguistic folkways of the community. When writers reach for an unfamiliar Greek
       word for the sake of elegance, it is fair to ask that they get it right. Still, it is worth noting
       that even people who are careful to treat the word syntactically as a singular often
       pronounce it as if it were a plural: etymology would require that the final consonant be
       pronounced as a voiceless (s), rather than as a voiced (z).

Jamie

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. - Virgil.
"Yield thou not to adversity, but press on the more bravely".

BSC
Member Elite
since 2000-02-04
Posts 2919
New York, USA
3 posted 2000-07-12 10:16 PM

WOW Prometheus..... and uh, kudos!!!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » What is....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary