navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Searching
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Searching Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Crystalina123
since 2000-01-31
Posts 228

0 posted 2000-06-28 04:21 PM

Hey all --
I used to know how to search for a poem by who wrote it or what it was about, and since hte sites been updated I can't figure out how to search. Now I feel really dumb -- how do you do it???

Crystal

Maybe God has us meet a few wrong people so that when we meet the right one we can truly appreciate the gift.

© Copyright 2000 Crystal - All Rights Reserved
Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
1 posted 2000-06-28 09:30 PM

Crystal~

If you knew the author, you could click on the magnifying glass icon that appears on every post that author makes. Since you don't, look at the top of the screen and find the search button, and type in whatever you know about it.

But, um...how are you going to find it if you don't know what it's about?  

Elizabeth

I'm grabbing my hat and coat
I'm leaving the cat a note
Quick call me a ferry boat-getting out of town!

Crystalina123
since 2000-01-31
Posts 228

2 posted 2000-06-29 08:21 AM

Thanks for the reply but I don't see a magnifying glass or a search button anywhere on the screen -- am I losing it? I do have this funky banner across the top that looks like the java script screwed up. The banner says something about varnow=newdate();var uaid=now.getTime()%Math.floor(864000-Math.random()*1000);document

Do you know what that means -- could that be the java script command for the searh button that doesn't seem to exist on my computer??

Crystal

Maybe God has us meet a few wrong people so that when we meet the right one we can truly appreciate the gift.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2000-06-29 12:15 PM

Crystal, what browser are you using? What version? That kind of gobblygook happens to everyone from time to time, but it sounds like you're always seeing it? And that shouldn't happen. What you are NOT seeing, unfortunately, are all the menu options. Including the search feature…
Crystalina123
since 2000-01-31
Posts 228

4 posted 2000-06-29 01:50 PM

I am using Netscape version 3.04 but just booted up my internet explorer browser (ugh, yuck!!!) and I am seeing a menu. *sighing* looks like I'll be visiting passions using the terrible internet explorer   Thanks for the help Ron -- it hadn't even occurred to be that it might be the type of browser I was using. Thanks again!!

Love,
Crystal

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
5 posted 2000-06-29 02:24 PM

Netscape 3.04? Wow - that brings back some memories!  

Like you, Crystal, I much prefer Netscape to IE. But, uh, 3.x is really old, old stuff. I'm using 4.61, most are using a 4.7x version, and there's a beta 6.0 out there somewhere (though much different, I hear, from the Netscape of old). Have you considered downloading a more recent version? I'm sure I can find you a link if you need it…

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
6 posted 2000-06-29 02:37 PM

Just an FYI on Netscape 6.0...be careful! I'd guess that about a good quarter of the sites I tried to visit using it wouldn't run... manymany JavaScript errors! They also warn you when you D/L it not to replace your normal browser!

And it is WAY different! It was almost confusing for this poor boy!

('Sides, I still prefer IE!)  

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2000-06-29 02:55 PM

I haven't seen 6.0 yet, but I've followed a number of discussions about it. Code named "Gecko," it's actually the results of a very large, very long lasting open source consortium and has virtually nothing in common with the old browser. I agree with Chris - not recommended for casual use.

For those who might be interested (and if you design web sites, you should be), here's a few threads on a UBB forum I frequent:

http://gethighforums.com/Forum5/HTML/000190.html

http://gethighforums.com/Forum5/HTML/000191.html

Crystalina123
since 2000-01-31
Posts 228

8 posted 2000-06-29 03:39 PM

Hey all --
I updated my browser and it's working perfectly. Netscape has 6.0 available to download but a number that high scared me -- I just got 4.7   Thanks again!!!

Crystal

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Searching

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary