navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Need Help Fast!!!
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Need Help Fast!!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MZ27
since 2000-05-13
Posts 1

0 posted 2000-05-13 11:18 PM

I really need help!! I have to do a poem project for my english class and I have to talk about the meter it's written in (I'm really at telling the type of meter). I'm doing Lord Byron's On This Day I Complete My Thirty-Sixth Year. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me the meter or any other literary devices in the poem. Thanks.

MuZiKBoY27@excite.com

© Copyright 2000 MZ27 - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2000-05-14 09:03 AM

Tsk Tsk Tsk... Doing an assignment at the last minute again...

This is a pretty interestiing poem - Imagine - In 1824 thirty-six seemed like old age.  My gosh - We're just getting started in life at that age now...  

Byron was telling us that we should accept our senior (40ish?) years with grace, and that we shouldn't regret our past..

He uses some good basic literary devices.  Taking the second stanza as an example..

quote:

My days are in the yellow leaf;
The flowers and fruits of love are gone;
The worm, the canker, and the grief,
Are mine alone!

He speaks metaphorically of his age by comparing his years to autumn's "yellow leaf".  The "flowers and fruits of love" (a product of summer) are supposedly for the young - Boy have we changed that silly concept.  There are more - See if you can find them.  I see more metaphors, and some similes for starters. I also see some personification in later stanzas... This isn't hard - I know you can find them...  

Byron writes this poem with a rhyme scheme of a-b-a-b repeating nicely with each stanza.

His meter is beautifully accomplished.  He writes each stanza with three lines of iambic tetrameter and wraps it up with an abbreviated iambic dimeter for a striking effect.

da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM/da-DUM
da-DUM/da-DUM

Now next time, listen in class...   and English is always spelled with a capital "E"

Now, find some more literary devices - This poem is full of them...Have a Happy Day.....

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 05-14-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Need Help Fast!!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary