navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Let's Talk About Your Web Site
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Let's Talk About Your Web Site Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2000-04-02 12:02 PM

I've been looking at the websites listed in Elizabeth's post. I have to tell you, there is a lot of talent out there...so here are some questions:

What makes a good web site?

What turns you off when you open a web page?

Do you do your page in html or use a software program?

That's it for starters........

© Copyright 2000 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
1 posted 2000-04-03 05:05 PM

ok web pages are my other passion besides poetry, I create pages for friends, a few small businesses around here and am seriously thinking about  starting my own web design business.  I kind of vary the use of html and page builder programs depending on the amount of time I have... writing the coding out without the use of a page builder gives me more sense of accomplishment with the finished product.  What do I look for ? hmm I'm not sure I've seen millions of pages and I can't honestly say that I look for anything in particular but I would be interested in what others look for in a web page as well !!!  

Mystical being
which makes ink flow
Surround me in
your incandescent glow
Fill my brain with
thoughts and rhyme
As I try to capture
but a moment in time
~Shan~

Dusk Treader
since 1999-06-18
Posts 1187
St. Paul, MN
2 posted 2000-04-03 11:27 PM

A good web site should be easy to navigate, realitivly simple in design, yet plesing to the eye.  Garrish color schemes are a big turn off, along with pages drowned in huge graphic files, speed is important.  I like text links more than icon links just because they take much less time to load, but if they load fast than they're great.  

The exception to my simplicity rule is the Flash sites.. oh my gosh, some of them are just SO cool, lot's of fun to play with.  Others though are just... blah.  

When I write up my own pages I always type up the code myself.  I think it's a lot more fun to do that way.  I don't like the software... I'm sure there are good ones out there, but Frontpage.. ick... I just don't want to spend the money when I could do it in Notepad for free.

Cool subject, Sharon, I'd like to see what others think.  And what about you?

Abrahm Simons

"...Watching fate as it flows down the path we have chose" - Trent Reznor, "We're in this Together"

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2000-04-04 12:47 PM

I like graphics....sorry! I don't write all my stuff in html, for my current page I used a dinky software from Pacifica! It's so basic it's not funny. I tried FrontPage -ick! For my GeoCities site, I used a new software I purchased called "Splash!". I like it a lot as it has more features than the other one and has it's own FTP (I bought one so now I have two!)

I like a page that loads easily. I usually don't care for frames. I do like Flash though, it's fun to use.

I don't like loud, painful color schemes. I don't like boring borders ( I make my own in PaintShop Pro). I create a graphic to go with each of my poems - to set it off. I believe visual art compliments the poetry.

Here is how I deter poetry theft. I create my poems as a graphic. In PaintShop Pro, I begin with a new document that is the size I need (usually 5" x 7" is good). Then I copy my poem onto that document and save it as a .jpg. If someone wants to take my poem, they have to download the graphic and type it in their own format!

Well...that's about it....I've got a lot of graphic sites that I go to and a lot of free stuff (guestbooks,etc.) so if anyone needs help, let me know!  

Corazon
since 2000-02-02
Posts 1209

4 posted 2000-04-05 10:20 AM

well, I agree with the simplicity and navation ease, that is what I tried to do with mine...I threw away a bunch of versions before I finally settled on one...and that...I made the base pages in publisher, I made the home page, the indexes, and a couple of pages that wouldn't change, designed the footer and then publisher lets you publish the website to your hard drive...after that I took each poetry page to the netscape composer and added graphics to compliment each poem...I am like sharon, I like the graphics, but thanks to helpful hints from a friend, I also learned that gif's and especially 8bit color ones (if that doesn't affect the quality too much) load a lot faster...so I messed with mine quite a bit to try to get the best of both...graphics that don't take forever to load....
I have lots to learn, but had fun putting up what I did.
I wish I knew more html, I mess with it very slightly in the html editor, but am totally overwhelmed when I look at all the coding it takes to make what you see on the page

JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
5 posted 2000-04-11 10:55 AM

For the longest time I have wanted to create my own homepage for my poetry among other things.  I love all the creative and cool web pages and home pages I come across when surfing the net.  If anyone could recomend a good site where I could create my own home page I'd appreciate some advice!  Thanks.

Joy

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2000-04-11 09:35 PM

Joy, I had my first site on GeoCities..still have it as a matter of fact....try them..or Homesteaders...and if you ever need help, let me know.
JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
7 posted 2000-04-13 10:55 AM

Okay, I'll check those sites out.  Thanks.
Joy

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Let's Talk About Your Web Site

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary