navwin » Discussion » Q & A » famous poems about shipwrecks
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic famous poems about shipwrecks Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
prncesssmarty
Unregistered
Posts 1

0 posted 2000-02-03 04:39 PM

please someone help me.  i need to know what the title and the author of a poem about a ship that is sailing in freeezing cold waters and then gets caught in a storm, breaks apart on a reef and the girl who is tied to the mast dies.  I believe the last line is some thing like pray you never suffer the same fate as ... the night the ship ... sank into the cold waters. or something like that.  can anyone help me?

© Copyright 2000 prncesssmarty - All Rights Reserved
Gene
since 2000-01-23
Posts 935
Colorado, USA
1 posted 2000-02-05 09:39 PM

Don't know if this really helps, and I'm not familiar with the one about the girl tied to the mast, but the best poem I've read about a shipwreck is, "The Wreck of The Mary Deer."
Gordon Lightfoote made a song about it.

Don't know much more than that.

~Gene

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
2 posted 2000-02-05 09:50 PM

princess: all i can honestly do is refer you to two poems that i know about shipwrecks... one is the Rime of the Ancient Mariner (by Coleridge), but i doubt that's the one... the other is The Convergence of the Twain (by Hardy)... you might look that one up (but it's about the sinking of the Titanic)...

sincerely,
jerome the boy with no brain

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » famous poems about shipwrecks

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary