navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Eminemethology
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Eminemethology Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2010-12-01 08:14 PM

I recently read an interview with Marshall Mathers (otherwise known as Eminem, or a.k.a. "Slim Shady" fame) published in the current Rolling Stone Magazine, in which Mr. Mathers revealed his method for writing "rhymes".

His ideal, he revealed, is to have each line rhyme, syllable-to-syllable with the previous line.

Not once did he use any terminology such as "assonance", "neat rhyme" or "slant rhyme". I mention this, not because I doubt his impact or worth as a poet or artist, but because I was wondering if the accomplishment of this feat has a more formal terminology.

I tried to do it, and found the process very difficult. So I don't have a personal example to offer, nor do I have an example of Eminem's work to share that would suit a family forum. (And shrug, while I admire him in many ways, I simply don't have the fortitude to read everything he's written--I'm still working on Shakespeare. )

So...Nan? Anyone? Is this form of his a recognized form? If not, is there a better term for it than what I described?

signed:

the ephemeral curious cat

© Copyright 2010 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Eminemethology

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary