navwin » Discussion » Q & A » About a title
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic About a title Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
redjoker
since 2009-10-28
Posts 1
Virginia, USA

0 posted 2009-10-28 03:21 PM

I've titled a poem of mine "On the Funny Farm" because I was institutionalized for three weeks once. Is that appropriate for the forums here?

© Copyright 2009 redjoker - All Rights Reserved
Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

1 posted 2009-10-29 03:50 AM

Dear redjoker,

Does the title work for the poem?  It sounds like it would be a bit of a hard sell for me, personally, because it sounds like the actual experience hasn't been something you've digested yet.  You might try looking at some of John Berryman's institutional poems. or the Theodore Roethke poems, or some of the work by Robert Lowell that came out his time in Macleans, and get some idea not of how you should do it, but of how other people already have done it.

The Funny Farm sounds offhand like you're making light of your own experience. Why not try a draft, though, set it aside, and have a look at it in a week or two.  That will tell you much more that a generic piece of feedback like this one.  Write first, revise later is always better than revise first.

People who revise first get in the way of the writing process and set their initial standards too high.  You can revise later if you want.

Sincerely, Bob Kaven

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2009-10-29 09:30 AM

As long as your work (and or title) doesn't advocate harm to oneself or others - As long as it doesn't portray or sensationalize graphic violence, we have no objection to your post.

If you're unsure of a specific work and its acceptability, feel free to have a moderator preview it for you.  We're happy to help.

Have a great day
Nancy

Nan's Morsels Writers' Blog

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » About a title

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary