navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Need help makeing my poems better
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Need help makeing my poems better Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
pink panther 08
since 2007-12-09
Posts 7
Valdosta,Ga

0 posted 2007-12-16 09:41 AM

I am 18 yrs. of age I have been writeing scince I was young. A 8'th grade Teacher untill now my 12'th grade Lit. teacher has brought me out of the turtle shell in a scince, and I found this web site which is inspireing me to do more poetry. My question is what can I do to make my poems more like Art. Such as some that I have seen on this web site. You guys are poets in the heart for sure.

If you would like to email me I will put it up on my profile so just cheak it out thier.

Thank you,
                                 Britt

© Copyright 2007 Brittany - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2007-12-16 10:30 AM

start with spell check....or a dictionary. I don't like to read poetry that has a lot of spelling mistakes. But? That is just me...cause I spell really bad! LOL

Write from your heart. That is what matters most...if you don't feel it, it will come through that you don't.

Hope that helps

pink panther 08
since 2007-12-09
Posts 7
Valdosta,Ga
2 posted 2007-12-16 10:38 PM

Yes, that makes scince.
Thank you, keep posting piptalk.com family of friends I wanna see more comments.
This helps me alot.  

Jaki H
since 2008-01-19
Posts 232
NJ, USA
3 posted 2008-01-23 09:32 PM

well... idk whether or not i write with wat your talking about, but the best advice i have is dont just sit down one day and say Im gonna write a poem. Wait for something important to happen, or an idea to pop into your head. then, make sure you have a rhyme scheme if your doing that kind. i see tons of mistakes where people do not follow through with it. try simple ones first. then, mix it up a bit for the last stanza with something exciting or unexpected or insightful.

hope this helps!

Jaki H
since 2008-01-19
Posts 232
NJ, USA
4 posted 2008-01-23 09:34 PM

Oh, and take the advice on the spelling checks. no matter how amazing a poem is, it will never get the recognition it deserves with spelling errors.

good luck! im sure youll be a great poet!

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

5 posted 2008-01-24 03:16 AM

Nothing helps quite as much as what you're already doing, having a bunch of friends who write as well and who want to talk about it.  Next, it's helpful if you have favorite poets who are still living or not dead real long who've published in books or magazines.  I mean people who blow you out of your socks and leave your shoes smoking on the floor.  People who write poems that you want to hear read out loud.

Go to places where people actually do that, especially people whose work you like from books or magazines, and listen.  A good poem ought to leave you zonked the same way a great song does.  Go after poems that make you feel that way and try to absorb them through your skin.  Try writing like those poems for a while and see if that makes you happy, and then keep looking for ways of saying things that have music in them and talk about real things.  Stay playful with the things you write about.  When you stop having fun, you'll know you're headed in the wrong direction and you need to try another one.

I've probably said too much, but there may be something you can grab hold of.  Stay with the fun stuff, and look for poems that really excite you.  Your taste and mine probably won't be the same, but I enjoyed Theodore Roethke, Donald Justice, Sylvia Plath, Elizabeth Bishop, Maura Stanton and William Stafford among recent folks.
Why not consider going to the library and looking at a couple of current issues of the American Poetry Review.  They have wide taste, a lot of which I don't like.  But then you'd get away from listening to me.  Ask friends who they read for fun, and why they like them.  

Take what you want & leave the rest.  Best is simply to keep writing.  Best from here, BobK.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
6 posted 2008-01-24 06:04 PM

Welcome to PiPs!

Rhyming is totally optional. And personally I am less often spontaneously inspired but more committed by sitting in front of a blank page and spending time introspectively until I recognize something worth writing about. There are a lot of possible structure that you can impose on poetry. A few here understand that and have trained themselves or been trained to use great techniques. But most of us just write from the heart.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane,
I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Need help makeing my poems better

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary