navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Responding to Poems...
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Responding to Poems... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia

0 posted 2006-12-06 05:13 AM

Hello... I have a question please... is it rude not to respond to people's comments to  your poetry?  I feel that perhaps I'm being rude that I don't respond to everyone who comments on my work - I would like to do the right thing as I really enjoy being back at passions and I am loving reading others' work - amazing as it is

So, my question is... do I respond to everyone or is it ok not to?  

Thank you for your feedback in advance - appreciate it.  RDB

© Copyright 2006 Roniece Dawson-Bruce - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-12-06 06:59 AM

I believe it is a personal choice.  Some poets respond to questions placed within their poem's responses.  Others simply return the favor of responses by going to the responder's poetry and leaving comments or remarks on their poems.

If you enjoy reading others, then payback is when you tell them what you like about their poetry.  If they ask for critiques, then by all means, leave one, if you are comfortable in doing so.

Some poets "lump" their responses by clicking on "topic review" [scroll down to see below in Quick View] and leave a multitude of "thanks", as I'm sure you've seen.

I believe you'll find when you respond to others poetry [rather than just thanking them within yours] you will widen your own readership and circle of friends.

Another comment - sometimes a reader's question to a poem would deserve an indepth response.  Private emails work well for those times.

Roniece Dawson-Bruce
Member Ascendant
since 2000-01-29
Posts 5689
Sydney, Australia
2 posted 2006-12-06 09:42 PM

thank you Sunshine - appreciate your feedback... I do try to read and respond to others as I really enjoy reading other people's poetry ...I'm not sure I'm a very good critquer(?) of poetry but I do know what I like and what I don't like to read...
thanks again, I will take  your comments on board.

RDB

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
3 posted 2006-12-07 08:48 PM

I have a hard time responding to replies on my work.  There are a few poets on this board who I know and have met personally and I will usually adress them but on the overall, I will usually just give a polite group "thank you" when I think the post is nearing the end of its reading.

Not that I write near as much as I used to but even so, your question is one I always about myself.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2006-12-07 09:27 PM

Michael, it's quite true you don't write and share with us as much as you use too...

but dang it, we DO miss you very much!

REPOST time....

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Responding to Poems...

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary