navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Analyze Sonnet/Poem
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Analyze Sonnet/Poem Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
bhavman2
since 2006-05-03
Posts 1

0 posted 2006-05-03 05:15 PM

If possible can anyone help me with analyzing this sonnet?i need it for school but i have no idea what its about..

Looking at Her by Alan Brownjohn

-thankss

© Copyright 2006 bhavman2 - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-05-03 08:45 PM

Oh dear...we wouldn't think of taking away the joy of learning from you as you embark on analyzing a poem...nor would we think of doing your homework for you, either.

However, I can suggest, as might we all, that if you need help on analyzing poetry, you may want to look through our Critical Analysis Forum.  Poems are placed there for people to comment on, analyze, tear apart, put back together...

heck, I'll even let you take a whack at one of mine, but only if you do your own homework.

Deal?

Deal!
/pip/Forum28/HTML/000277.html

There are a number of very talented poets that tore into this, and I hope it allows you to understand analysis, and interpretation.

Good luck on your school project!

" It matters not this distance now  " Excerpt, Yesterday's Love
~*~
KRJ

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2006-05-04 09:22 PM

Firstly - Your link doesn't work.  Your host isn't allowing anyone to link from another site, it appears.

Secondly, although we won't do your homework for you, we can certainly lead you in the right direction.

When you're analyzing a sonnet, you should look at a few specific things:

Does the sonnet conform to the rules of sonnets?  Does it follow proper format - 14 lines, iambic pentameter, specific rhyme scheme, theme development...?

What sort of sonnet is it?  Shakespearean? Spenserian? Italian?  The rhyme scheme will tell you the answer to this question.

What is the theme of the poem?  A good sonnet will develop a conflict throughout the first portion and resolve it in the last couple or few lines.  What's your take on this?  It's the most relevant part of the analysis.

If it doesn't adhere to proper form, do you consider it to be a sonnet?

What are YOUR feelings about the message imparted?

All of this needs to be written in your own words.

See why we can't do it for you?  

Good luck - and Enjoy

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2006-05-04 10:32 PM

See why Nan is the teacher?

I'm still learning...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Analyze Sonnet/Poem

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary