navwin » Discussion » Q & A » select all, cut, copy, paste, undo questions
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic select all, cut, copy, paste, undo questions Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
doreen_peri
Unregistered
Posts 180

0 posted 2006-04-14 03:31 PM

My left pinky is numb. All the way down my hand.

select all, cut, copy, paste, undo

....repeatedly for how many years now? I suspect it's the onset of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I knew this damn machine was gonna be a very bad idea one day.

Have any of you experienced CTS?

If you stop doing the repetitive movements which cause the problem, is it reversable? Does anybody know?

Maybe I should give up my graphics & web design job. But then, I might have to have to suffer Foreclosure which might be an unpleasant illness, too. Ugh.

Anybody have a stay-at-home job opening for a poet?

I can hand write my poems with my right hand and mail them to you regular mail and you can pay me for them. 25ยข a word.

Whaddya say?

© Copyright 2006 doreen_peri - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2006-04-14 03:48 PM

I thought I might have CTS when I experienced several nights of numbness...that 'sleeping extremity' thingie...before waking up at 3am with pain so intense it took my breath and curled my toes to cramping.  Turned out I had somehow exacerbated a condition in my wrist after a 30 years of working with my hands, including the job I was then doing building bikes for Huffy.  Ended up being a hole in my wrist ligament below the pinkie.

In fact, the surgeon, after he had smoothed out the ragged edges with something akin to a dremel, said that if the hole had been any bigger it would've ruptured that triangular ligament.  And when your wrist is hurting, you learn how amazing the body really is.  Everything from the shoulder down affects the wrist in some fashion, and you can really tell when your nerves are jangling.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2006-04-14 05:06 PM

Well Doreen I had it for years off and on, until one day I was at a therapist about something else, and told her about it.  She sold me that day this absolutely incredible little strap that goes just below your elbow, and all it has is a tiny air pillow that is placed over a muscle, and you wear this when working on the computer or also helps to get over a previous CTS injury.  This little strap has been on more arms than I care to tell you - as it works, and someone is always borrowing it!  It is called an aircast pneumatic armband, and if worn right, you would not believe how it takes the pain away.  It works for tennis elbow too (that was what it was made for actually.)      

I went from their A2 wristband to using that little strap off and on and never, have I had it again.  The second I feel even a little pain or think it is coming - on goes the little handy, dandy strap when I am on the computer, and presto - gone!  It is under speciality items Dor.  I swear by this device, it works!
http://www.aircast.com/products/

Here is what they suggest though for CTS.  Just click his wrist  
http://www.aircast.com/patientcenter/

Ali's right, that kind of pain can buckle you at your knees, and I was so grateful I finally found something to nip it in the bud.  Amazing how the shoulder, back, elbow, and wrist all are affected by one.  Oh right...the hip bone's connected to the leg bone...etc.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2006-04-14 05:38 PM

Had a bit of carpal tunneling pain into my wrist once...

but the chiropractor saved me from surgery!

Sometimes...it starts in your neck.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
4 posted 2006-04-14 06:46 PM

Hey Dor, before blaming your poor little pc, think about what the piano playing might be doing to the hand (but don't stop!)
if you can go see a wholistic dr, who will treat the whole body not just the wrist, as the pain's source may well be some other body part.
Anyway, I like the input here, and am remembering someone wearing the gizmo Sharon mentions. I have a similar thing going on in my hip...a friend jokingly said it's because I'm really just a pain in the ass.

doreen_peri
Unregistered
Posts 180

5 posted 2006-04-14 07:27 PM

Heyyyy Alicat! - Great to see ya brotha! Man, sounds like an ordeal! Geezzz! If a surgeon wanted to work on me with something like a dremel, I'd freak! Glad you pulled through it ok!

Sharon - Thanks for the links. I created this really silly image to post here 'cause I thought it was funny but I've decided not to. I took a picture of myself and put those arm braces on my arms superimposed using photoshop and I've got this  big smile on my face. LOL! Well, it cracked me up but I think it's also sorta creepy so you'll just have to imagine my sick sense of humor. I tried to add the cannister thingy that dude is holding but it didn't look right. But anyway, I'll look into it and I do appreciate it!

Kariea - I didn't think of a chiropractor! Maybe I'll try that! Hell, I could use a good massage anyway so even if it doesn't work, it might be well worth it! Glad it worked for you!

Kacy - Nah, I don't think it could be caused playing the piano. If it were that, I'd be better at it by now because it's the repetition of motion that causes these kinda problems, I'm pretty sure, and I spend WAY more time on these keys than on those (but you probably can tell that from my CD... lol) A wholistic doctor's a good idea. Thank you, kind lady, for the suggestion!

OK, so now you're all thinking "doreen peri's back!" ... here comes her damn complaining again!

lol... hey, i don't remember.. did I complain a lot before? Well, if I did, no big deal because I'm not really back. I'm in a corner and it's tough but I'm not going to complain about it, truly I'm not!

Next post? I'll share something upbeat. Some songs or jokes or something. I promise. Of course, I'll have to phrase them as a question or a suggestion but that's no problem. After all, I'm a writer! Right? *wink*

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
6 posted 2006-04-14 08:07 PM

Was that a rhetorical question?  Does a sleeping cow fall over when tipped?
doreen_peri
Unregistered
Posts 180

7 posted 2006-04-14 08:52 PM

No. I don't think so. Er, maybe. I'm not sure. But I do now that the most rhetorical rhetorical question there is is, "Is that a rhetorical question?"

doreen_peri
Unregistered
Posts 180

8 posted 2006-04-15 01:21 AM

Wishing you all a Happy Easter!

No question about it.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2006-04-15 12:06 PM

Happy Easter,
My Friend.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2006-04-15 12:39 PM

Happy Easter to you too Doreen.

doreen_peri
Unregistered
Posts 180

11 posted 2006-04-15 03:44 PM

tulips for easter for all of you

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » select all, cut, copy, paste, undo questions

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary