navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Need some cracks on internet question
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Need some cracks on internet question Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands

0 posted 2004-07-11 07:05 PM

I always use a blanc page when opening my internet explorer, worked well until....I changed from telephone internetting to ADSL.
From that time on my blanc page is overtaken by the MSN homepage site.

Somewhere on my pc it says when I open explorer, that the blanc page should be replaced by the MSN home site.

I contacted them and they searched, but couldn't find anything and they gave me a link to a microsoft page where, in the forums I asked the same question.
Someone gave me a link to a site wich is too complicated for my poor Dutch brains, so I come here to ask if anybody know how to set it straight again. (and I mean permanently, not changing the option ever so often in 'internet connections').

The line I get when MSN takes over is this:
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?
prd=ie&pver=6&ar=msnhome

I'm smart enough to know that the end says that msnhome is the end product and I think that redir.dll has something to do with redirecting the directory from blanc site to msn site, but.....
damn, what do I have to do to get it out of my system.
It acts like some spam site taking over, but I don't have any virus (well Norton protected), I wash my mail with Mailwasher Pro and my computer starts up with Ad-aware 6.0.
I can't just delete MSN, because I use the messenger (saying 'Goodmorning Karilea, when she's rising early again LOL) and I have a community on msn. I had them for years, never encountered the problem getting msn home or any other home on my internet startpage.

Well, after reading all my gossip and rambling, does anybody have a clue how to get rid of this nuissance?
And if anyone does...tell me in simple words please, because I'm just a dumm Dutchie (no, I'm NOT blonde ) as it comes to internet techniques.

Thank you for even reading all this stuff, hope you didn't fall asleep.

Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

© Copyright 2004 Titia Geertman - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2004-07-11 09:30 PM

Well, I'm not sure, Dutchie, but normally you can set the home page in the following way. After you have logged on (with whatever page you go to), find the page you would like to have as your home page and go there. Then click on TOOLS and then INTERNET OPTIONS. On that screen you will see the address Explorer is set to presently. Click on "Use current page" and it will be replaced by your choice and from then on will go there when you log on to Explorer.

Good luck

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
2 posted 2004-07-11 09:51 PM

Dear Balladeer, that's just what it should do, but doesn't. I can set my internet options on the blanc page (wich I like) but when I start my computer the next time, this bug will change automaticly my blanc page into the msn one.

There's some exe file on my pc that's bugging the hell out of me.

Hé, that rhymes.

Sorry pal, it's a bit more complicated.

Love you anyway,

Titia

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
3 posted 2004-07-12 12:23 PM

I see..sorry to hear that, Titia. I don't mean to sound insulting because I know you are a smart knuffel but are you pressing the "apply" button after making the change? I know that sometimes people just hit "ok" and not "apply" which doesn't make the change permanent. Other than that I have no further suggestions...sorry, Dutchie
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
4 posted 2004-07-12 09:53 AM

Of course, you could always opt to Google...which is almost as blank as blanc...and in my humble opinion [yes, I have one...LOL...] the best search engine around...without all those "ads"...
Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
5 posted 2004-07-12 10:56 AM

quote:
I contacted them and they searched, but couldn't find anything and they gave me a link to a microsoft page where, in the forums I asked the same question.
Someone gave me a link to a site wich is too complicated for my poor Dutch brains

Can ya give me the link they sent you please? I know someone else that is having this same problem.

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
6 posted 2004-07-12 09:33 PM

Thank you Deer for calling me a smart knuffel and yes, I always hit the right buttons , wich means in this case 'apply'. Mmm...I think you better stick to your golfing my dear friend

Sunshine, I'll try that, but I doubt if it's going to help, because this is a startup thing, wich overwrites the desinated page when I start or restart my pc. My husband had it too, but a different spam page and he could get rid of it by deleting the related file in the regedit, but I can't because I don't know wich dll or exe file is causing this and changing regedit is dangerous. One miss hit and I can loose everything on my pc or have start problems.

Jeffrey, here's the link, and if you and your friend have sorted it out, please tell me in plain English, though I think it wouldn't help me anyway, because your friend's wouldn't get the same page I'm getting. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?LN=NL&x=8&y=11

Titia

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2004-07-12 10:16 PM

Titia - have you run a virus scan?  Maybe that would be the next step?  Maybe I can ask my brother - HE might know...
Jeffrey Carter
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-04-08
Posts 2367
State of constant confusion!
8 posted 2004-07-12 11:15 PM

I am working on this and I hope to have an answer for you soon.
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
9 posted 2004-07-13 05:29 AM

Norton is permently on watch and I start up with Ad-aware and just now I found in the Ad-watch the item I was looking for, the root key to the hijjacker.
I opened regedit, found the little thing and deleted it, but....that seemed not to be enough, because after restarting the computer, it showed up again in my Ad-aware and was sitting in the regedit again. There must be something else then, wich causes it to reinstall itself, but where????

I'll keep looking.

Titia

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
10 posted 2004-07-13 06:51 AM

Titia, I ran a search on Symantec's virus site. It could be that you have the following Trojan - I'm not sure though? The link below seems to describe your issue:

Here's their instruction page on the virus they call "Trojan.Startpage.E" which it says changes your Internet Explorer home page, terminates security programs and overwrites the Hosts file.

You might want to review the detail on this page and see if you think it's the same problem you have? The page gives removal instructions. They are a little indepth. I'd be cautious before trying to follow any of the instructions.  
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.startpage.e.html

If you don't think the above applies to your problem, the link below from Symantec came up with 2 other possibilites. Good luck.
http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/query.html

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
11 posted 2004-07-13 08:51 PM

Hi Kit,

I don't think I have trojan horse, because I did a Symantic checkup on my pc and they say it's safe for all those things, got all 'green'on every item they checked.

I run live update, my pc is checked by Norton automatically twice a week, no spam mail is coming in thanks to mailwasher.

The strange thing is that I get the MSN homepage. My husband got another page after changing to ADSL, but he could get rid of it by deleting files from the regedit, but I can't just delete MSN, I'm using it for the messenger and my community page.
Even MSN itself couldn't find it and said it is a Microsoft problem.

I know that messing with the regedit is dangerous, so I don't do that unless I'm sure no harm will be done.

Oh well, I'm getting used to set the blanc page first before I enter the internet.
I don't have any other problems whatsoever (knock knock) sofar.

I'm sure I'll find it eventually.

Thanks anyway for all the good advice you gave me.

Titia

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Need some cracks on internet question

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary