navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Graphically Speaking
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Graphically Speaking Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 1999-10-19 01:08 PM

If you noticed my Halloween poems in Open Forum #3, you will realize that I love ‘presentation’. My web pages are done in this same manner. I feel that visual art and poetry can compliment each other. For perfect examples, please go to the main site and look at Ron’s Postcards. His use of graphics to compliment a poem is masterful.

Therefore, my question is: Would anyone like to discuss how to put graphics with their poetry? Where are the best graphics? How can you manipulate graphics? In other words…are there any other ‘graphic addicts’ out there (yes, I admit it!).

[This message has been edited by Poet deVine (edited 10-19-1999).]

© Copyright 1999 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
1 posted 1999-10-19 02:24 PM

Now Ms. deVine...could ya imagine what "graphics" I'd put with my poems?..Geesch! Ron would have a heart attack! Nan would have permanent PMS! I'd probably be committed to the "stute" forever! Or banned...entirely. I don't post nearly as much anymore, just to stay outta trouble and not ruin things for everyone else or make Ron jealous....(LOL), but graphics?..Yea....right!
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 1999-10-19 02:39 PM

Get thee to the ADULT Forum! You can put 'tasteful' graphics there....send them to me and I'll put them on a web site and send you the code to place in your posts...I've put some there...the kiss...the cucumber, etc.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
3 posted 1999-10-19 02:46 PM

Toerag's just mad because I got a picture of him when he wasn't looking - and I shared it with everybody...

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 1999-10-19 03:13 PM

It might surprise you to learn that most of the web sites running the UBB software don't allow their visitors to use either HTML or graphics. There are some dangers (many of which I've managed to program out), and it's quite possible to completely mess up a page and make it unviewable. But like you, I think graphics can add dramatically to our presentation, and I think they're worth a few risks.

A couple of points, though. One, PdV, you might be a little cautious about making your entire post into a graphic. It looked really good, loaded fairly fast, but in a week or so you'll discover that doing so bars that post from using many of the features of the new software. Not a biggie, but something to consider.

Second, I am considering eliminating image tags that point to geocities. About a quarter of the time, they seem to display as broken images, and another quarter of the time they load so slowly I feel like I should get out and push them across the wires. Since Yahoo! took over Geocities, there has been nothing but problems - and I hate to see those problems bleed over into our forums.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
5 posted 1999-10-19 05:47 PM

I'll go back and delete any links I've done to my Geocities site! Is there another 'free web page' service that's better?
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Graphically Speaking

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary