navwin » Discussion » Q & A » question about copyright
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic question about copyright Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2004-01-06 08:42 PM

My question is one about copyright...

A friend of mine is publishing a cookbook for the Ronald McDonald house. She has done this before, but this time she has asked me to choose a poem for the opening page...I have chosen William Blakes "The Devine Image" Is there a way that I can find out who owns the copyright? I am wondering if it is still under copyright, after all he died in 1827.....any help with this will be appreciated...
______Ice
  ><>

© Copyright 2004 ford hume - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2004-01-06 10:07 PM

Good luck with the searches for ownership. And though a writer might die, and be dead for quite some time, often their legacy continues through family or estate ownership, or someone else buys the rights and does the same, passing them on. The Beatles broke up about 30 years ago, but Michael Jackson went and bought up a good deal of their material, and holds sole ownership of those works. So again, good luck with your searches. If there's a writer's guild close by, check with them, or possibly legal counsel if their aspect is copyrights. Might also write to the Library of Congress and pay some visits to the library. Some research will be needed to prevent unnecessary embarrassment and possible litigation.

Best of luck,
Alicat

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » question about copyright

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary