navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Poetry.com?
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poetry.com? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
WorrosLanrete
since 2002-11-14
Posts 45

0 posted 2003-09-30 11:45 AM

I've entered a lot of poems on poetry.com, all the ones i originally put here.

All of them get into the subfinals and i get letters saying that they want to feature me in anthologies.

Then I get a letter saying that I have been accepted to be one of the 33 poets featured on a sound of poetry CD.  I call and ask, am I going to be on every copy distributed? or just mine? and they say on every copy.  However, im still a bit skepticle.

They also send me a letter saying I am a finalist for a national award, but after further reading i find out that you have to pay a ton to go and that if you go you are automatically entered as a finalist and you must attend to keep your finalist status.

Yesterday I get another letter about one of my poems saying its got the Editors Choice award and that they want it featured in the sound of poetry CD.

Everytime I get something from this site, it always includes something about them wanting me to buy one thing or another.

Can anyone vouch for this site and tell me if all these award things they are notifying me of are legit or if they are just trying to earn a buck?

© Copyright 2003 WorrosLanrete - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-09-30 11:55 AM

Poetry.com - The guru of poetry scams...

get out get out while you can!

WorrosLanrete
since 2002-11-14
Posts 45

2 posted 2003-09-30 12:04 PM

well, i called and asked if my poem would be on every copy issued or not and they said yes.  Im going to order a copy under a different alias and if they arnt telling the truth, im pressing charges.
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2003-09-30 12:13 PM

My experience with poerty.com shows it to be less than integrity-filled.
I submitted a poem (which I eventually used as my first one here) and was "accepted as a finalist". I attempted to get on the site to get a copy of it, and was unable to sign in. Not thinking too much of it, I re-joined with a different name and submitted the folloing poem:

I have written
And now you know
But now it's time'
For me to go.

I received a letter notuifying me that I was a "finalist"... and that I could attend the wards banquet for ONLY (close to $1,000) total.
Just my suggestion, however, I think it best to stay away.

We are all equal but we’re individually different
and able to reach the impossible if we try.

WorrosLanrete
since 2002-11-14
Posts 45

4 posted 2003-09-30 12:32 PM

I think ima find out proof if they are or if they arnt full of it.  If i get some hard proof, Im going to shut their site down.
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
5 posted 2003-09-30 01:40 PM

you will never shut their site down for they do everything legit..it's just that you are paying to be a finalist and paying to be on the cd and paying to be in their anthology and anyone can be published if you want to pay for it...

I live near their headquarters and I have also been told by friendly poets afterwards that they will continue to get letters about their poems even years after submitting.

If everyone who agrees and pays has their poem published they make a mint...but they are doing nothing wrong. You better read the fine print. If they haven't been shut down by now..they won't be.

It is a vanity site...and that about covers it.

You can't be that naive to think that the very first poem you ever submit anywhere is going to be a finalist in a contest..and that to receive an award you must go to the  convention...are you?

I wouldn't waste my energy on them...and  I am sure they have lawyers checking everything they do...

Maureen

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
6 posted 2003-09-30 02:02 PM

Info on poetry scams,,,
http://www.poetism.com/scams.htm
http://www.windpub.com/literary.scams/

[This message has been edited by QjQ (09-30-2003 02:10 PM).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2003-09-30 08:56 PM

As a poetry site that prides itself upon our integrity, we at Passions in Poetry certainly won't denigrate the integrity of another.  

We will advise you, however, to be very careful in your dealings with such publications.  It's absolutely so that the site you ask about does EVERYTHING that they promise - and they disclose their policies to you to keep themselves legitimate.  If you can accept their philosophies, it's your choice whether you'll deal with them or not.

I can give you my PERSONAL opinion, of course - It's simple.  I'm staying here at PiP...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2003-09-30 09:07 PM

Worros, PiP is currently working on our Third Anthology of poets - poems which are voted and chosen on by your peers.  If you missed the first three, stay around awhile and watch for the fourth one...because there WILL be a fourth one....

shara
since 2002-05-21
Posts 69
florida/USA
9 posted 2003-10-03 01:10 PM

i know exactly what you mean about the poetry.com thing, they did the same thing for me, i received a letter in the mail about an award ceremony at some special hotel with pictures of past poetry.com winners, thye wanted something like 500 bucks just to reserve seating for me and my family, yeah, the thought of it sounds nice but in the end i think it is just a scam, i don't know where you live, but in my neighborhood at like the local walden books or barnes and nobles we have poetry night and they select winners each month and each time you win you get cash, at the end of the year they give out grants and scholarships to those who shhow that they have grown as a writer.  

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
10 posted 2003-10-03 02:53 PM

Ditto everything everyone else said...I still get mail from poetry.com....

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

11 posted 2003-10-03 05:27 PM

AVOID.
GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
12 posted 2003-10-04 08:02 AM

Run Worros RUN!

they're legal, they just scam you out of your money. Be careful

Always, Alyssa

- And so it was that time stood still -
     (blink, breathe, stand, fight)

River
since 2003-09-16
Posts 627
my own little world
13 posted 2003-11-16 07:28 PM

ExAcT same story here!!!!!! ripoff ripoff i bet is what the deal is...my poems are not ThAt great. seriusly, and for the tons of people they supposedly have enter thier contests, i'm amazed to see one of the "33 poets" on this site. strange i tell you. strange. (grrrr)

- River

Love hurts as bad as it feels good.

eor
since 2002-09-26
Posts 959
blues & greys
14 posted 2003-11-17 03:18 PM

same here, actually wiht two different sites, i was selected to be in their anthology, but i had to pay to get it and then i was a finalist invited to go to orlando or disny world or something like that for only $1200, damn, if i could only buy my fame, it is all a freaking scam, but there are people like me who are so insanely intent at getting published thatb we over look the sanke in our faces...humph...

"So what befalls the flawless?
Look what I've built, it shines so beautifully now watch as it destroys me."

greco
since 2003-09-27
Posts 85
buffalo ny
15 posted 2003-11-17 07:48 PM

o ya he hate me
poetry.com is a huge scam
i am writing this to see if i am a finalist
then they try to get me to pay 1 grand
no this isnt going to work because i know
you are up and so is your scam

this is the poem i sent in lets see if i am a finalist

i bet i will be

kadafi09
since 2003-06-17
Posts 143
California, United States
16 posted 2003-12-02 09:32 PM

yeah, i submitted stuff to them too, but i didn't give any money to those jokers. if according to them, i'm such a good poet, why do i have to pay to see my stuff in print?  
Laicie
since 2003-12-03
Posts 37
Australia
17 posted 2003-12-05 03:32 AM

Try looking these up. I found them in another forum. I too, have received letters from Poetry.com and Noble House, (one today, actually)politely requesting that I buy these 'keepsakes' for 'future generations'. Hah! No thanks.
If the links don't work, just copy and paste in your browser. Interesting read!
http://www.windpub.com/literary.scams/bigmoney.htm
http://poetrynotcom.tripod.com/
http://windpub.com/literary.scams/endall.htm

Laicie

greco
since 2003-09-27
Posts 85
buffalo ny
18 posted 2003-12-06 09:24 PM

N o b l e   H o u s e
London – Paris – New York

yes i got an e-mail from these guys and asked what poem they got
lots see if they reply and see what they come up with
lol no thanks i dont feel like buying anything
c ya

River
since 2003-09-16
Posts 627
my own little world
19 posted 2003-12-07 02:56 PM

I got an e-mail from Noble House today...same B.S. as Poetry.com had...i see you guys got one too. I thought so. maybe instead of just suing them we could write a forward and send it to everyone we know who is into poetry.com or Noble House and tell them if they don't believe us, see for themselves. Maybe if they quit getting visitors, they will shut down their site.

- River

Laicie
since 2003-12-03
Posts 37
Australia
20 posted 2003-12-08 12:29 PM

Unfortunately River, a lot of people like to be ignorant. What they don't know won't hurt their pride! I was thinking of making up a really pathetic poem to see if they'd accept it, but I found it's already been done. They'll take ANYBODY'S! There are a lot of good poems there, you just have to wade through all the dung to find them!Haven't been back for a long time, don't intend to, either.
Laicie

Brigid WillowKeeper
since 2003-08-24
Posts 88
OHIO IN USA
21 posted 2003-12-15 01:47 PM

I think I will just stick to the one at school then. What they do is, if you get chosen, they publish your poetry in a book (can't think of the name) and then they pic, like 20, from the book to get scholarships for college. I haven't  been picked for a scolarship yet. And their books are only, 25$ or something like that. Then again, I never bought their books . . . hmmmm
thinktwice
since 2003-12-23
Posts 125
United States
22 posted 2003-12-23 11:19 AM

poetry.com is a scam. i've gotten the letters too. it's all BS so you register and pay them money.
this site is what i've been looking for for along time. this site is what poetry.com should have been.

Adam

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
23 posted 2003-12-28 01:07 PM

I experienced the same things...

But..........

What really saddened me was the day I overheard
a young teenage girl talking to some people,
a huge smile on her face...talking about
how she had been picked for this,  and all
the other stuff that she was being awarded
or ....  well, you know.   And who could
possibly convince her otherwise...

Yes,  beware of poetry contests that award
cash prizes....for very few give something
for nothing....

And we won't ever put them out of business,
for there are a hundred standing in line
behind the one that learns the truth and
doesn't play the game....

Not the first time I have seen this discussion.

And ...  it won't be the last.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Poetry.com?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary