navwin » Discussion » Q & A » anybody please!!!
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic anybody please!!! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands

0 posted 2003-08-11 06:41 PM

I'm in a hurry because whenever I'm online this screen pops up within a few minutes saying it has to shut down and restart my computer. It is initiated by NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM and the message reads:

they have to close down my computer because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is terminated unexpectedly.

Anybody ever heard of this?

I'm typing this in advance in word, so I can past it quickly inhere as soon as I have contact.

It started this evening and I don't know what's happening at all.
Took a quick look at my profiders website (hetnet.nl) to see if there was something going on, but couldn't find anything.

So if anybody knows something about this, please mail me.

damned computers!

Titia

Like scattered leaves...my words will flow

[This message has been edited by Titia Geertman (08-11-2003 07:00 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Titia Geertman - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2003-08-11 07:25 PM

Could be almost anything, Titia.

First step, reload the operating system CD. Assuming it's NT 4.0, you should be given the option to "repair" the system. If a file has become corrupted, that might do the trick.

If the RPC is being attacked externally, you need to contact your provider and get a different IP address (if it's static and never changes, someone may be trying to access your computer across the Internet).

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2003-08-11 08:00 PM

This is odd...I was on another forum today and someone from Texas had the same problem. This is what was posted as a possible solution there:

quote:

http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/4281.html

Possible ..
1)Trojan or Virus on pc ... some viruses cause your pc to report incorrect pc info.
2) Bad drivers ... xp can go really screwy if it doesn't like your drivers.
3) BIOS can cause memory errors
4) Windows Corruption ... ntdll is a boot file .... if drivers unload from your memory like this NT AUTHORITY \SYSTEM- RPC service terminated. Then your pc will not function properly ... NT authority will restart your pc.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
3 posted 2003-08-12 01:38 AM

to add to that . .  make sure you arent file sharing . . . this allows hackers to come into your PC easier and also many viruses . . .
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2003-08-12 01:51 AM

It's a virus...

quote:

Internet Infection Spreads Rapidly

Monday, August 11, 2003

CNN Website

WASHINGTON  — A virus-like infection that was the subject of urgent U.S. government and industry warnings spread rapidly Monday across the Internet, causing computers to mysteriously restart and coordinating an electronic attack against Microsoft Corp. (search)

Security experts said the infection, which exploits an unusually dangerous flaw in Windows software, wasn't yet seriously disrupting Internet traffic but posed that risk as it was expected to continue spreading quickly overnight.

Researchers discovered it about 3 p.m. EDT, and reported tens of thousands of infected computers inside universities, businesses and homes.

"It seems to be taking off fairly quickly," said Johannes Ullrich of Boston, who runs the D-Shield (search) network of computer monitors.

Infected computers were programmed to automatically launch an attack on a Web site operated by Microsoft on Saturday. The site, windowsupdate.com, is used to deliver repairing software patches to Microsoft customers to prevent against these types of infections.

Microsoft offers a free patch on the Web site to protect Windows users.

The infection was quickly dubbed "LovSan" because of a love note left behind on vulnerable computers: "I just want to say LOVE YOU SAN!" Researchers also discovered another message hidden inside the infection that appeared to taunt Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates: "billy gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software!"

Government and industry experts have anticipated such an outbreak since July 16, when Microsoft acknowledged that the flaw affected nearly all versions of its flagship Windows operating system software.

"It's much too early to expect to see any (Internet slowdowns) whatsoever," said Vincent Gullotto, a vice president at Network Associates Inc (search). "It really depends on how much it spreads."

The Microsoft flaw affects Windows technology used to share data files across computer networks. It involves a category of vulnerabilities known as "buffer overflows," which can trick software into accepting dangerous commands.

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
5 posted 2003-08-12 11:36 AM

Thank you all for helping me out here. It is a virus indeed.
After a days work and downloading a patch from Microsoft it seems to be removed.

It must be for I never could type this long before it made my computer resets itself LOL

I think I will set my Norton Life update on a daily base.

Thanks again,

a happy Dutch gal

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
6 posted 2003-08-12 01:21 PM

I just received this message from work in my email as a sidenote:

If you are on Windows NT and you get a message that you have a windows update to perform, do NOT perform this update. There is a corrupt windows update from Microsoft which will cause your pc to shut down over & over.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2003-08-12 01:53 PM

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

With regard to what PdV posted above...this is a site that can help...

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
8 posted 2003-08-12 02:09 PM

This is the same thing my computer was doing since yesterday afternoon. A lot of people around here were having th same problem. I didn't download any updates, though. I have no idea where it came from.

My computer whiz buddy downloaded a program from Microsoft.com and put it on a CD for us awhile ago. I installed it and haven't had any problem so far.....yet, that is. If I do have any more problems, I'll go here.... http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=20&pkj=CEFPJUIYCZRWEJGSSKE

This is where my internet provider sent me the time I had a virus a long time ago. It's the same place Karilea said, I think?

Good luck everybody. Remember, though, you don't have to install anything to get this thing, apparently. I didn't, knowingly, anyway.

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
9 posted 2003-08-12 07:59 PM

You don't get it from installing windows update, it's coming in from nowhere and once you've got it, it's preventing you from doing any window updates.

I use Norton System Works as my virus scanner with a twice a week life update, but this blaster worm just came in anyway.

You can find the solution on the symantic webpage as listed above.

Sofar I've heard, many computers are infected. Without the patch it will coming back every time you hit the internet connection.

Titia

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2003-08-12 10:40 PM

50% of the world's computers were infected, Titia.  Mine at home was too.  It comes through via internet, so your e-mail system virus controls can't catch it.

Microsoft is working hard to fix this.

What a bugger!

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2003-08-16 11:43 AM

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=74CDDBE7-544E-443C-AC30D4A73C859FB2#

Titia, thought you'd be interested to see how many folks got hit by this worm...

Hugs, K

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
12 posted 2003-08-16 04:59 PM

Thanks Sunshine, that's a lot of people. Lucky for me it didn't do any harm other than shutting me off ever so often.

Titia

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » anybody please!!!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary