navwin » Discussion » Q & A » How Do We
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic How Do We Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.

0 posted 2003-04-27 02:11 PM

Do we answer a poem because we like the poet? or we like the poem?  or both?

"It matters not how you answer, It matters only if i hear you"

© Copyright 2003 gMt - All Rights Reserved
Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
1 posted 2003-04-27 09:03 PM

I post strictly on the merits of the poem itself. Granted, the ones which are written by my favorite poets on the site get better responses at times, however each is done as its own.

When the morning cries and you don't know why...

QjQ
Member Elite
since 2003-04-18
Posts 3756
U.S.A.
2 posted 2003-04-27 09:09 PM

thanks ringo

"It matters not how you answer, It matters only if i hear you"

Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
3 posted 2003-04-27 11:59 PM

You're not talking about responding but, voting right???

I respond to ALL poetry I read but that doesn't mean I vote for all of them.  I vote on a poem if it talks to me, moves me, and is written well regardless of who the poet is.  I often find I prefer certain styles and topics of poetry but I don't shy away from different and unique pieces.  Instead of just reading a few poet's poems and just reading there work cuz, I know I really like it I add new poets daily to my favorites.  But, this only happens because I'm willing to read something new and that is where some of the most beautiful poetry I read is.  I would miss soo much otherwise.  Hence the reason my library is expanding all the time.  Anywayz, I'm using a lot of words to say a really simple thing.  
Bridgette

"Somewhere, somehow, it should be possible to touch someone and never let go again.  To hold someone, not for a moment but forever." Unknown

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
4 posted 2003-04-28 04:23 AM

I can't speak for anyone else because I don't know their reasons, but I read the poem and respond based on the poem itself, not the writer. I'm not saying that I don't have (cyber) friends here. I do. I usually read the title first, that's what attracts me to a particular piece...not who wrote it.  
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2003-04-28 06:46 AM

Both.  If you like the poet, chances are it's because you were drawn to the poetry to begin with, and developed a relationship/friendship with the author.  OR...you don't know the poet at all, and are responding to the poetry because it stands on its own.  

Responding to others is the biggest part of Passions and pulls into play the two aspects of Ron's home - tolerance, and respect.  We gain knowledge when we learn that just because we read something "one way", that it's not necessarily the way the poet meant for it to be read.  That tells me two things:  (1) I need to broaden my ways of understanding and (2) sometimes it tells the poet that they need to work on their poetry so that it DOES come across the way they meant it.  It's so easy to write something because You know what you mean; but not so easy to get that meaning across to another.  Look at the ways our laws are interpreted.  Everyone reads into every word a different meaning.  No wonder they say English is one of the most incomprehensible language around!

So, the choice is up to you, Q.  Just remember, sometimes the poet has been so good to us that they wrote something so well, that it simply wipes our brain clean of any words and we find ourselves at a loss for what to say...and that's why Ron let's us use smilies!  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » How Do We

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary