navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Scam or not?
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Scam or not? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought

0 posted 2003-04-22 04:36 PM

Noble House Publisher's
My assumption is that they are, just because most poetry books apart from here at Pip are. But its worth it to ask. They say they want to publish my writing in the U.K and each poem would be on its own page; in the book 'Theatre of the Mind.'

So any info ya'll might have would be appreciated. Thanks!

Always, Alyssa

- And so it was that time stood still -
     (blink, breathe, stand, fight)

© Copyright 2003 GG - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-04-22 06:05 PM

http://users.erols.com/amerlit/nh_ed.htm

If this is the Noble House you are referring to, it appears "legit".  But I could not find anything right off hand in Google that shows a Noble House Publishers.

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
2 posted 2003-04-22 08:43 PM

Thank you very much
maybe I'll do some more research on it too.

Always, Alyssa

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2003-04-22 09:45 PM

Noble House is a pretty common name. The link Karilea found points to a very standard subsidy publishing agreement (sometimes called vanity publishing). Subsidy publishing isn't a scam, but neither is it traditional publishing. On the contrary, under subsidy publishing the author becomes his own publisher, with Noble House acting as consultant and printer. The author would pay for at least 1,000 copies of the book, but would only actually receive 100 copies. The remaining books would be sold through various channels, controlled by Noble House, with the author receiving part of the retail price. About 99.9 percent of the time, the author will never see a dime. But the .1 percent exception to that rule can make for some very exciting success stories.

This doesn't, however, sound like what you're seeing. Could be the same subsidy publisher is branching into new areas. Could be an entirely different company. The bottom line, as always, is to follow the money. If they offer you the opportunity to buy books, that's fine. If they require a purchase, it's probably time to get worried. And if the purchase is substantially more than the usual price of a comparable book, it's time to run.  

GG
Member Elite
since 2002-12-03
Posts 3532
Lost in thought
4 posted 2003-04-23 12:18 PM

Thanks so much Ron for taking the time to help.
They don't demand I buy anything, and the copyright would be under my name. There'd be a page with the poem and then I could also have a page to explain the poem. So it all sounds well and good except for the one fact... I'm not dumb, or at least that dumb, lol I realise nothing I've ever written is deserving of that.
So I think I'll continue to search for fine print which must be there.

Thanks again.
Always, Alyssa

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Scam or not?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary