navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Fun
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fun Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda

0 posted 2000-01-28 07:35 AM

Read that a kid
Suffocated
On a toy
Pokemon

The news said
BEWARE
TOYS MAY BE DANGEROUS

And I felt
Bad for the kid
Who accidentally
Made Fun
Dangerous
For the rest of us

[This message has been edited by patchoulipumpkin (edited 01-28-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 patchoulipumpkin - All Rights Reserved
haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
1 posted 2000-01-28 11:08 AM

an excellent statement of the harm of alarmist and reactionary society pressure...the further harm to life by an over-eager press!

I love the poem and the layers lying beneath...KUDOS!

~haze

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
2 posted 2000-01-28 08:34 PM

patchoulipumpkin: very good job   i've often pondered the same overreaction of our society to things like that and i applaud you for expressing it in such an effective and simplistic manner... i thoroughly enjoyed it  

sincerely,
jerome the boy that wants more kool-aid

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

merely_a_jester
since 2000-01-14
Posts 67
Arkansas... that's all you get
3 posted 2000-01-28 10:19 PM

i like the thought that went into this poem and the levels that peek out from it
i'm in full agreement witht the guys above
a job well done

just another twice invisible boy

To Be, contents his natural desire,
He asks no Angel's wing, no Seraph's fire;

Alexander Pope

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
4 posted 2000-01-29 04:16 AM

When I read the first stanza I immediately put on my "I'm gonna hate this one!" frown because of the Pokemon reference but as I read on and you enlightened me as to what this poem was really about....I became very impressed. The ending capped it, iced it, zipped it...and so on, all up perfectly. Great last stanza.

"Who accidentally
Made Fun
Dangerous
For the rest of us"

Terrific sense of irony in these words.
Again, terrific poem, thanks for sharing it, take care,
Trevor

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
5 posted 2000-02-03 02:03 AM

Patch,
Strong job. One gets the feeling at times of what poetry 'should' be about and that probably would be some sort of lament for the child who died. This doesn't in anyway mean there shouldn't be a lament but I'm very glad that you've chosen a different direction here.

Well done,
Brad

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
6 posted 2000-02-03 08:24 AM

Patch:

I agree with the above responses in-as-much-as this was an stong statement against alarmists and opportunistic media types (I hate the news spots like, "Toy causes todder's death; details at 11."  But I think the content could be quite upsetting for a close relative of one of the deceased children.  Surely they would give anything now to have that particular brand of fun ruined. Just an opinion.  Good job here.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

hoppy
since 2000-01-27
Posts 271

7 posted 2000-02-03 02:42 PM

I LOVE YOU POEM, myself i hate pokemon!! i think the japs have sent them to take over the world!!  but seriously i like the connotations with the child speeking.  Shows how adults overlook what a child sees.  nice work

"If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity."

SUBMIT YOUR POETRY HERE, AWSOME PAGE.
NEW POETRY FORUM ADDED

Don't look... you might see.
Don't listen... you might hear.
Don't think... you might learn.
Don't walk... you might stumble.
Don't run... you might fall.
Don't make a decision... you might be wrong.
Don't live...you might die.

THE PAGE OF PURE POETIC EXPRESSION!!

shock gospel
since 2000-02-02
Posts 33

8 posted 2000-02-04 01:22 AM

I think if we could see the tombs, behind the masks, of some of the things we call fun, then the media wouldn't have to tell us when to run.
                          shock gospel

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
9 posted 2000-02-05 06:20 AM

I echo Haze's comment about the layers ..

What's Pokemon?  Some kinda card game?

Sorry I guess my USA-less and kid-less existence puts me at a disadvantage here ..... or should that be an "advantage"  

Philip

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
10 posted 2000-02-05 10:27 AM

Ah Philip, if you've been spared Pokemon, you must be truly blessed. You don't even want to know.

Patch, sorry I'm not sure how to comment on this as a poem, but you certainly have made a worthwhile social statement. Like Trevor, I was at first put off by the reference to Pokemon and I think I would still like it better if maybe you substituted some other toy or maybe even some made up or unnamed toy.

Thanks for the statement though.

Pete

What terms shall I find sufficiently simple in their sublimity --
sufficiently sublime in their simplicity --
for the mere enunciation of my theme?
Edgar Allan Poe

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
11 posted 2000-02-05 02:19 PM

First:  Let me congratulate patch on another fine piece that I missed before... kudos punkin...

Second: Let me point out -- that while Pokemon may be a little obnoxious to adults it has taken a generation of kids mesmered into the isolation of basements and thrust them into a sport (yes sport) that has them interacting with each other in droves -- and it's not that different from our generations fascination with Frodo or Troll Dolls..  

Therefore -- I echo the sentiment -- it's too bad our litigous society has created this kind of reactionary response to any misfortune that comes along.  

< !signature-->

Hate is a dead thing. Who of you would be a tomb? -Kahlil Gibran

[This message has been edited by Local Rebel (edited 02-05-2000).]

lily
since 1999-12-27
Posts 16
united states
12 posted 2000-02-05 04:25 PM

this is a great poem! brief, yet thought-provoking.i agree that the "layers" give this piece character and the ability to inspire. impressive. GREAT JOB!!
jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
13 posted 2000-02-05 04:50 PM

patch--

sorry, i thought i had commented on this one before, but i see i haven't... well, it's GREAT, how about that?  you say alot in very few words.

i find myself looking forward to your postings; you have a wonderful 'voice' and always something interesting to say.  keep them coming, ok?

jenni

daleedmands
since 2000-02-05
Posts 7

14 posted 2000-02-05 06:18 PM

I guess I shall call you, 'Patch'!
Thanks for the nice words on "Night Out."
I'm new to this format, but I can see why so many poets flock to these 'good' sites; the savvy ones, anyway

I loved this poem; so much impact with so few words. Hits home, as well it should!
I will keep reading your poetry, as it has a magnetic quality; keeps bringing the reader back for just one more line...please!

Nice to be here with such quality poets.

Yours in verse,

Dale

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Fun

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary