navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » A new poem
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic A new poem Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
patchoulipumpkin
since 2000-01-01
Posts 196
Bermuda

0 posted 2000-01-20 04:34 PM

A new poem

I read some poetry
And I really wonder
Not about the poetry
But over my intelligence

What am I missing?
How come everybody likes him?
There must be something
Wrong
Inherently
Wrong
In me

Why are his words in a book?
If his works suck
Why is he praised by critics?
When he can’t write

I know he does write
But he seems as worse off as me
Searching
Figuring metaphors
Seducing with similes
Manipulating with space

He’s got it all
He does it all
Makes tons o’ cash
Sleeps with the women
That swoon over his vibrating
Dialect
Intellect
And smile

I want so badly to understand
Why
Him
Where’s the spark
La magie
The excitement

But realize
If I do try
I’ll short change myself
Make myself
Something else
Other than me

So I swallow
My truth
My little kernel of the pie
And dance as hard
As fast
And as frantic as I can
With sadness
Melancholy
And all her siblings

Revelling in our shared truth
That the world is not as we’d like it
We sweat out the anger
Rage
Hate
Fear
Self-doubt
And indecision

In order, to start
To begin
To write
A new world
From a new poem
Without a book to protect it

© Copyright 2000 patchoulipumpkin - All Rights Reserved
Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

1 posted 2000-01-20 04:54 PM

First, friend Patchouli Pumpkin, do you have a nickname?  Save me a few keystrokes by telling it to me.

As for the questions in your poem, I don't really find them so agonizing.  If you write to express yourself, to contact others of your sort, to create something you're pleased with yourself, you're doing just the right thing here, and should get pleasure from it.  
   If you want to write for money, prestige, or sexual encounters, I suggest you learn more about the real income and social life of the average professional poet.  Learning the truth about that might also give you pleasure.
    As for the poem itself, I like it.  Can't you tell?  Give us more.  

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
2 posted 2000-01-20 05:05 PM

Patch:

I liked this.  An old Professor of mine used to always say, "True dedication doesn't need an audience."  That one stuck with me.  

Question:  What is a little "kernel" of a pie?  I suppose it could mean a "central" or "essential" part of the pie but I don't see how it flows with the meaning I get from the line.

I really enjoyed your last two stanzas, the negative feelings fueling the creation of new poems.  Thanks for the read.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Wordshaman
since 2000-01-17
Posts 110
Illinois, USA
3 posted 2000-01-20 06:04 PM

Patch...I loved this piece.  Speaks the questions I've had for a long time.  But...I do have to say that it is often my own literal (literary) immaturity or shortcomings that disallows me enjoyment in something.  In the same vein, I outgrow things that once fit into my maturity spectrum, so perhaps it will come to be later on that your severe hatreds of today will tomorrow be your greatest joys.

As far as the piece, the third from the last stanza needs to go.  You went from a hard opinion piece straight into a somewhat complicated metaphor.  I was entirely unprepared for it, as I was thinking about what you were saying.  It read as "....blah blah blah..." after the first couple words.  But overall I like the piece.  Well put, fair poet.  

Wordshaman

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » A new poem

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary