navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Dancing with Lilith and Pan
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Dancing with Lilith and Pan Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

0 posted 2000-01-17 01:34 PM

Pan, of course was the Greek God of wild nature, and Lilith, in Hebrew myth, was Adam's first wife.  They shared the quality of dangerous seductiveness, and I thought it would be interesting to let them perform together for once.
     If you're not in a hurry, you might read this slowly to yourself in a barely audible whisper.  Then let me know if it works.

Come dance in the garden
     with Lilith and Pan.
          There's a lord for each lady,
               a maid for each man.
The sound of their piping
     will banish all care.
          Come dance in the gardens--
               they wait for you there.
Come dance with each stranger,
     and love one, perchance.
          A faint wisp of danger
               is lost in the dance,
For a cool breeze will pardon
     each maid and each man
          That dance in the garden
               With Lilith and Pan.

Now evening flows in
     and the dusk-shadows rise,
          but we still are drawn on
               by the sparks of his eyes.
There are creeper and vine
     our swift feet to ensnare,
          but we twirl on, enmeshed
               in the swirl of her hair.
We weave to their power
     and crush underfoot
          each thistle and flower,
               each grass-blade and root.
Cicada and cricket
     all sing the can-can
          as we dance in the thicket
               with Lilith and Pan.

Now the two lead us on
     to the depths of the wood,
          While our hands start to stray
               and our kisses draw blood.
With thigh and breast pressing
     their flesh-hungry claims,
          we circle, caressing
               the rim of the flames.
The flames toss and flicker,
     they weave their web higher,
          they whisper and snicker
               of lust and desire.
It's high time for turning,
     escape, if you can,
          or dance in the burning
               with Lilith and Pan.

© Copyright 2000 Ted Reynolds - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-01-17 02:04 PM

"If you're not in a hurry, you might read this slowly to yourself in a barely audible whisper.  Then let me know if it works."

Ted, this works.  This really works.  Excellent job here.  The iamb/anapest (da-DUM/da-da-DUM) and occasionally anapest/anapest (da-da-DUM/da-da-DUM) combination in most of the lines gives this thing a wonderfully musical lilt, my man.

My only criticism (a metrical one) is with, "For a cool breeze will pardon".  My first reading of this, naturally, came out "for a / cool BREEZE / will PAR- / -don".  I stumbled a bit over this.  Forcing the stress on "cool" instead of "breeze" seemed a little un-natural to me.  Your "song" here, though, does start the old metronome going in my head and I found myself stressing "cool" on my second reading.  Let me know what you think of all of this.

Otherwise, this was remarkably well done.  Thanks.

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
2 posted 2000-01-17 02:11 PM

Ted, it sure worked for me. Even without the background study it was a great read. Thanks.

Pete

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
3 posted 2000-01-17 04:22 PM

Show me to the garden!  Wonderful work, even though the poem makes it clear there is danger, I am still magically convinced to "dance in the garden/With Lilith and Pan."  The only line I didn't like as well was "the can-can".  It reads aloud wonderfully.  Truly beautiful.
jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
4 posted 2000-01-17 08:13 PM

ted--

very well done!  it's hard to write in the scheme you've chosen here and not have it seem too silly, but you've done a nice job of keeping things moving forward, into the flames and darkness.  but one thing? i have to agree with kirk t. walker, the 'can-can' line seemed a little forced.  

a nice piece overall, though, thanks for the read.

jenni

J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
5 posted 2000-01-17 08:35 PM

Ted,
  This most definately works. Fabulous poem, you really blended the two tales well. You painted the picture flawlessly. Really a great one.
            J.L.H.

Jason
I...I have seen the best minds of my generation...
--Allen Ginsberg

John Foulstone
since 2000-01-01
Posts 100
Australia
6 posted 2000-01-18 08:27 AM

Ted, this works very well for me. Have to echo the can-can comments: felt way out of Time. Shall definitely read this to the lady sometime soon. Thanks.
Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

7 posted 2000-01-18 08:35 AM

Thanks, one and all.  "Can-can" goes, that's for sure.  Didn't like it myself.  Now to find another rhyme that I haven't already used . . . "lead in the van"?  Naw.  Well, that's my problem.  Bye for now.
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

8 posted 2000-01-18 12:13 PM

Ted,
I absolutely loved this playfully devilish poem (with a hint of sensuality).  As far as your problem goes with wanting to change that line, how about, "cicada and cricket,   sing with the pavan"?
The slow, steady dance thing seems to fit with the poem, and it has a bit of a softer sound.  Just a suggestion to take or leave, and to try to help.
Nice work, Ted,

warmhrt

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 01-18-2000).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2000-01-18 12:18 PM

First, I certainly enjoyed the intro.  Made for a more enjoyable read.  Have to ditto comments on the "can-can" however, so will leave it to you and your devises to smother that line.  It quickly brought me from the world you had created to "civilization" and I didn't enjoy the transport.

Other than that - MAGIC!

Sunshine
Look, then, into thine heart, and write ~~~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

haze
since 1999-11-03
Posts 528
Bethlehem, PA USA
10 posted 2000-01-18 02:06 PM

WOW!

I am certainly sorry to be a traggler on this piece. This is fabulously wrought, the lyrical flow leads to the garden and the rhythm to the dance, the words to the innocent/decadence born only of true children of nature...

You wrapped this incredible duo tightly and with great style! Extreme Kudos!

~haze

Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

11 posted 2000-01-18 04:13 PM

Warmhrt: "Pavan' (pavane?) will do great, once I find a phrase which matches the poem's beat.  Thanks.

Jim: I'm afraid if I start thinking about iambs and anapests, I'll end up like the centipede thinking about walking.  In my case, I have to do it without thinking about it.

Everybody:  Well, reading all your comments didn't hurt at all.  I'm glad I could please people in my turn, whose work has recently so much pleased me.  Onward, together (but watch those flames.)

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
12 posted 2000-01-18 04:41 PM

Ted

This comes to you without thinking about it?  I hate you!  

Jim

Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada
13 posted 2000-01-18 04:42 PM

YEah,
gotta say I really enjoyed this poem (and I hate having to say that without my scissors and razors ). BTW I needed the explanation, I had no idea who Lilith was. I agree with letting the "can-can" go and just like to say I have a personal grudge against "cicada". Also I didn't find the "cool breeze" line stumbling like Jim did....forgive him....he's hooked on Canadian Tylenol. Anyways it flowed beautifully and the imagry was excellent. Thanks for the wonderful read, take care,
Trevor

Kirk T Walker
since 2000-01-13
Posts 357
Liberty, MO
14 posted 2000-01-20 12:33 PM

Well, now I am going to be late for class, but that's okay.  I had to make one more quick suggestion, rather than be guilty of, as Thomas Carlyle wrote, having "Only a torch for burning,[and] no hammer for building".

Anyway, in replace of the "can-can" I thought this might make a suitable replacement:
"Cicada and cricket
     Sing, lifting the ban,
          as we dance in the thicket
               with Lilith and Pan. "

[This message has been edited by Kirk T Walker (edited 01-20-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Dancing with Lilith and Pan

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary