navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Sunset: a monday in June
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sunset: a monday in June Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA

0 posted 2001-06-11 12:19 PM

Trees golden illuminated
in the failing rays of western sun-
pale moon rising on the dusky horizon
laden with cool purple
wisps of cloud-
and we,
mere commuters of shopping centers,
jobs, and eternity,
scurrying about on the highway
in our countless automobiles,
disregarding the suspension
between day & night,
foolishly ignoring the balance
of sunset and twilight,
missing the fascinating destruction
of yet another fruitless day.

6/4/01

This was originally just a quick observation jotted on an old envelope- but do you think night/twilight so close together has a weak flow? And is the ending too dismal? I'm really not too sure...

© Copyright 2001 hush - All Rights Reserved
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
1 posted 2001-06-11 11:55 AM

Hush, I like the tone and the almost visual image you have created here. I don't see the reason for th shortness of lines 4 and 5. I would combine them but leave 6 as is.

And no, I don't think the neding is dismal but ironic instead.

Pete

Never express yourself more clearly than you can think - Niels Bohr

jenni
since 1999-09-11
Posts 478
Washington D.C.
2 posted 2001-06-11 07:09 PM

hush--

i liked the tone and feel of this piece, and no, i don't think the ending is too dismal; the last two lines were exceptional, i thought.  

the opening five lines were perhaps a little too generic, bordering on cliche maybe; it's awfully hard to be original with sunsets, i think.  maybe show us the sunlight reflecting off the mirrored windows of office buildings, or those 'eye in the sky' traffic helicopters whirring around the cool purple wisps of cloud?  i don't know, just an idea.  

nice work!  thanks for posting this for us.

jenni

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

3 posted 2001-06-13 12:53 PM

Hi,

I very much like the imagery you've created, and the notion of it all being ignored by those too busy to notice it's wonder.

The only thing I would suggest changing is in the next to the last line:
"missing the fascinating destruction"
I would change the word "destruction", as it is not truly that...it is a transition.

Nice work...I enjoyed the read,
Kris

"It is wisdom to know others;
It is enlightenment to know one's self" - Lao Tzu

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

4 posted 2001-06-14 01:17 AM

But I think destruction was more the point that was being made by Hush. Transition is your perspective Warmhrt, not Hush's.

Now as to this poem...I like it.

My crit is as follows:

My general comment for format: I have some problems with the punctuation. The first five lines have a couple of - (I can't remember the name of them right now lol)...then bang - suddenly there are commas all over the place and not a period to be seen - cept right at the end. I truly think the commas are more a disruption than anything else. I'd try it without them. The -'s are good though heh.

Line by line:

Trees golden illuminated
in the failing rays of western sun-

**Like this...BUT how about taking out the golden? 'Trees illuminated/in the failing rays of western sun-' excludes the need for golden. I love failing rays.

pale moon rising on the dusky horizon
laden with cool purple
wisps of cloud-

** Again, I wonder if there are too many adjectives here? Pale/dusky/cool/purple/wisps in three lines. I recommend playing with these lines a little...

and we,
mere commuters of shopping centers,
jobs, and eternity,

** Love this..

scurrying about on the highway

** how about changing scurrying to 'scurry'? Bring it into the present tense? Also, there are many 'ing' endings in this - a change would minus one...

in our countless automobiles,
disregarding the suspension
between day & night,
foolishly ignoring the balance
of sunset and twilight,
missing the fascinating destruction
of yet another fruitless day.

** The end is great, especially the last two lines...there is only one thing I recommend - removing the line 'of sunset and twilight' - it's too repetitious with day and night...'foolishly ignoring the balance' speaks for itself.

Well..that's me.
Thanks for posting - enjoyed.  

K

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
5 posted 2001-06-28 12:42 PM

Hush:

I liked much of the imagery and agree with Jenni that the last lines are the stronger lines in the poem. The first five lines give us a necessary backdrop, but, as they are written, do seem a bit like cliche to me.  Perhaps you could provide us with the backdrop incidentally and at the same time you describe "we commuters".

Normally I would not like the reference to eternity but I think it has its possibilities here.  I think you could strengthen the effect of that word if you contrast the relatively few twilights and dawns "we" can experience in our lifetime with the potential number of the same in "eternity".  I think, by doing this, you could amplify the tragic implications of allowing another day to pass by "fruitless".

Just an opinion.  I enjoyed this. Thanks.

Jim

helen smith
since 2001-03-12
Posts 240

6 posted 2001-06-28 02:12 PM

I enjoyed it too hush ..just as it is ,,,,fruitless is     the key word    i think  to  bring us back to  what life is really all about .
warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

7 posted 2001-06-28 05:58 PM

Severn,

Yes, that was a keen observation that it was my conception that it was a transition, not a "destruction". After all, I wrote "I" would change the word to.....             

Kris

"It is wisdom to know others;
It is enlightenment to know one's self" - Lao Tzu

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 06-28-2001).]

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

8 posted 2001-06-28 09:21 PM

quote:
as it is not truly that...it is a transition.

A statement of fact, as opposed to a statement of subjective opinion...  

K

I am a refugee of logic...insisting
on unlikely land with every step.

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 06-28-2001).]

Jessica
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-28
Posts 350
South AL
9 posted 2001-06-29 04:11 AM

Hush... I don't think twilight and night run too close together... To me it kind of sets a pace. It wakes the reader up and keeps them looking for other ryhmes like that... It makes them pay closer attention to the poem's context and dosen't allow you to just fly through it. Keep up the great writting! I really enjoy reading your work!  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Sunset: a monday in June

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary