navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » 100 Sorrys
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic 100 Sorrys Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Littlewings
since 1999-09-19
Posts 62

0 posted 2001-01-18 09:22 AM

I pierce the overflowing night with a heart that is tired with beating.
Down under my consuming blankets once again I am retreating.
It feels so good to hide from the cutting wind.
It gets harder and harder to begin again.
I am sorry a hundred times.
A piece of hair falls on my face...softly.
I felt the stabbing knives com in place of your caress.
All I see are my passive eyes-deadly staring at the days to come.
As bullets rip through my skin-I never try to run.
It has started to feel good as they rip me wide open.

In my poems I have a habit of never clearly defining the subject matter.I feel that when you make it too obvious , It cheapens what you are writing into nothing more than a personal narrative.In my poetry-I focus on the raw emotion and the images I feel.I think most of the time they create enough of a picture to work with by themselves.My question is-Are they TOO sketchy?
I would really appriciate some imput on this.Thank you!

© Copyright 2001 Littlewings - All Rights Reserved
mark woolard
since 2001-01-02
Posts 143

1 posted 2001-01-18 11:11 AM

too sketchy?  nah.  i find that when the subject is not clearly defined, and the poem consists of many (random?) descriptive lines, that leaves the piece totally open for interpretation.

in this poem, i observe the emotions/feelings of being trapped, which branches out to guilt, fear, and the like; and there is also sorrow, peace, and a wierd acceptance of torturous pain (perhaps because that's all the poem knows).  

this is just an overview at a glance, and i am only one person with a limited poetic education.  who knows how everyone else will see this?--and that's the beauty of it all.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » 100 Sorrys

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary