navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Homo-Collage
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Homo-Collage Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
YeshuJah Malikk
since 2000-06-29
Posts 263

0 posted 2000-12-23 06:19 PM

Reaching is my thing,
it's what I do and who I am.
I could ignore the happenstance of your presence,
and be transported into times the clock
said I never lived in,
to record years and daze of things
my eyes thought they'd never seen.
I am neither wrong nor right
and could never be, for my existence
is a sustained illusion with no certain conclusion.
I am the slave who survived and endured
larvae bursting forth from his skin,
while standing upon a rolling deck translating
heads into golden coins soon lost to the wind.
I was there when Jesus wept,
and indeed was one of the angels sent
who watched Gomorrah sleep the night
before Lot fled into his daughters arms.
I rode with Attila across the steppes,
my stirrups dipped in blood;
Alexandria called great was one of
my many lovers, and I felt the fires
of desire burn in the spirit of Gandhi
as he resisted a power seemingly greater
than he.
I was sacrificed at the hands of the Incas
before the Spanish came, their lust
coursing down my legs after they'd
placed the bridle in my mouth.
The Egyptians called me God and wrote
my name in their book of the dead;
rulers found it imperative
to be intimate with me,
consulted me before battle,
and at my behest sacrificed the choicest
of their choicest cattle.

I am scribe, prophet, obeah man,
juju man, medicine man, voodoo priestess,
and griot all in one.

They will call upon me again...
they will.

© Copyright 2000 YeshuJah Malikk - All Rights Reserved
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
1 posted 2000-12-23 07:49 PM

YeshuJah, first of all I really enjoyed the poem there are some wonderful images and lines, and the poem has massive potential I found that it did not flow as well as it could, the piece could have a far more powerful impact with some editing.

First of all I found that the first two lines did not sit well with the rest of the poem, the poem for the most part has the atmosphere of a statement where as the first two lines seem casual,

suggestion, " I reach, it is my existence, my core, my hands are eternally stretched.." something more dynamic to flow through to the next line, also I do not quite see the relation between the first sentence and the second. The line "I am neither wrong nor right" I would suggest "I am neutral," or "passive"  
the line "is a sustained illusion with no certain conclusion". I think "without" instead of "with no" would suit the flow better.  Line 11 "I am the slave who survived and endured" I think this line could be tightened a bit, "I am the surviving slave" and surviving and enduring are both similar words,
the next line puzzles me, the change from first person to third, too fast for the reader, nice image but is it in connection with the slave (1st person) or Jesus. If it is the slave then the line could read " I am the surviving slave with larvae bursting forth from my skin."

Other wise I think the rest of the poem works well especially the latter half with the religious imagery that is where the main power of the poem is. If you could bring that same power to the first half of the poem, I think you will have a great piece of poetry.
< !signature-->

"In the shadowplay, acting out your own death, knowing no more
As the assassins all grouped in four lines, dancing on the floor" Joy division

[This message has been edited by brian madden (edited 12-23-2000).]

Skyfyre
since 1999-08-15
Posts 1906
Sitting in Michael's Lap
2 posted 2000-12-24 02:12 AM

Hi there ...

This piece brought forth some very intriguing images in my mind ... some of them quite powerful.  I must admit, though, that it was only the second half of the poem (after "I am the slave...") that spoke to me thus.  The first part was simply too vague ... you speak in circles and shadows.  The only portion of it (the first half) that I liked at all was the first two lines ... they were vague also, but you had to lead into the rest of the poem somehow ... LOL.

The second part was nothing short of amazing, imagery-wise ... I'm a bit tired and so can't get too in depth on the structure or particulars but some of those lines really gripped me by the throat.  The only place that I thought it lost a little steam was at the end of the second stanza with "all in one."  Could use something more original there.

All in all, a wonderful read.  I'm glad I stopped by.    

Happy Holidays,

--Linda

< !signature-->

Remember: maintaining a positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will certainly annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

[This message has been edited by Skyfyre (edited 12-24-2000).]

YeshuJah Malikk
since 2000-06-29
Posts 263

3 posted 2000-12-28 07:19 PM

Brian, thank you for reading and commenting on this poem.  I will re-tool this with an eye to your suggestions.  Thank you.

Skyfire, thank you for reading and commenting on the poem also.  I agree with you that the poem takes off at the line regarding the slave.. I kind of started off with another idea in mind and then veered in this direction, which perhaps accounts for the disconnect. Thank you.

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

4 posted 2000-12-29 11:47 AM

Yesh...A Happy New Year to you,

I found this poem to be immensely interesting. It was very readable, and full of powerful phrasing, which, in turn, brought up equally powerful images.
I also found that the rhythm and flow were pretty darn consistant, and don't think that there is any problem there.

I do think, however, that only the first line is a bit too flippant for the remainder of the poem, and that is easily remedied, if you so wish.

This is the first poem that I have truly enjoyed reading that had a "religious" theme, as it was so unique...getting its message across in such an unusual manner. I do not think you were too vague in the beginning of the poem...it was a lead-in to the second half, and I think it was well done (of course I prefer a bit of mystery).
As one reads, it all falls into place.

Nice work, Yesh,
Kris < !signature-->

All good poetry is the spontaneous overflow of powerful feelings...~William Wordsworth

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 12-29-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Homo-Collage

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary