navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Sleeper Car
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sleeper Car Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
captaincargo
since 1999-11-25
Posts 109
Corning, N.Y. U.S.A.

0 posted 2000-07-15 01:11 PM

We rode an Eastern train of green
Past endless newborn garden sights
The steady drum and thump of steel
Over rivers vast with crests of white
Slapping rocks and sand a postcard scene

Inside a room of cellular size
Are beds as any prison's seen
Yet captive is just what I feel
To eyes and lips of Moscow's prize

And as the white moon rises high
Ringed with a cool glow at amor's behest
Inside all is filled with tropic heat
My kisses on a heaving breast
Our moon shining on naked thighs

And with the drum of steel on steel
Passions taste is minty sweet
The joy of our desire a living layered cake
That gently rocks to clinking wheels
While the moon shines on and passion's slaked.

Cap. Carg.

© Copyright 2000 captaincargo - All Rights Reserved
Craig
since 1999-06-10
Posts 444

1 posted 2000-07-15 01:49 PM

Hello Capt.

I enjoyed reading your poem but was distracted by something that I couldn’t at first put my finger on, then I noticed the rhyme scheme in the first and third verses is different from the second and last. The second is obviously because of the reduction from five to four lines but the fourth change is a little harder to spot. I also noticed a partial rhyme scheme (broken by the changes mentioned) in the centre lines of each verse, steel/feel heat/sweet that suggests originally this poem started out as a more structured form. Did it? I’m curious to know either way but especially if it was and why you abandoned it.

In the line ‘yet captive is just what I feel’ would you consider changing ‘yet’ to ‘and’, my reasoning is that you describe the room as prison like but infer that despite this you feel like a prisoner. A little like ‘ I sit in water yet feel wet’ as opposed to ‘ I sit in water and feel wet’, the ‘and’ would tie the room and your feelings together.

Just my opinions and observations, please feel free to ignore them at your discretion.

Craig

Yes, I admit your general rule. That every poet is a fool:
But I myself may serve to show it. That every fool is not a poet.

captaincargo
since 1999-11-25
Posts 109
Corning, N.Y. U.S.A.
2 posted 2000-07-15 02:11 PM

Craig, you're right. I don't know how I missed that. It should be and instead of yet. As far as the rhyme scheme goes I had a lot of trouble with this poem. Everytime I thought I had it right I would notice some little thing and that fixed it would alter something else. I almost abandoned it altogether but decided to throw it in CA and get some help from my pals.

Thanks for the advice.

Cap.

Cap. Carg.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
3 posted 2000-07-23 01:18 AM

Cap,
Hope you can stay a little longer than just one poem.  I've only got time for a few thoughts so here they are:

We rode an Eastern train of green
Past endless newborn garden sights

--nice beginning but I think a little more detail would help.

The steady drum and thump of steel
Over rivers vast with crests of white
Slapping rocks and sand a postcard scene

--the last line doesn't seem to work and worry about your use of inversion here 'rivers vast'.

Inside a room of cellular size
Are beds as any prison's seen
Yet captive is just what I feel
To eyes and lips of Moscow's prize

--I like the end  line here but I wonder if you could drop prison but leave cellular. Have you actually taken this trip? I've never done it but I've got friends who say that it is just hell, hell, hell.

--amor?  What's the Russian word for love? Or how about the Chinese 'ai'?

--this is great contrast between an inside of the transSiberian railroad and the outside.  I think you might want to make that contrast a bit clearer.

And with the drum of steel on steel
Passions taste is minty sweet
The joy of our desire a living layered cake
That gently rocks to clinking wheels
While the moon shines on and passion's slaked.

--Unfortunately, I think this dissolve into your own passion. Make me feel passionate at this moment, I don't care what you feel - selfish person, aren't I?    

I think it would help if you expanded this and showed us the situation more clearly - I particularly want a description of the woman and, of course, her legs.  

I do think, though, that this really has some potential.

Just an opinion,
Brad

roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
4 posted 2000-07-23 02:25 AM

capt.
i am glad to see you post again.  this is such a sensuous poem.  i really like the cool feeling of a green and blue night, with a cold white moon.  but the heat coming from inside the sleeper car.  whoo.  i HOPE that this is based on a personal experience

i think there must be some way to avoid the use of the word moon twice.  thighs for me is not the sexist words either.  the our moon part, i don't understand.  is there a special meaning to this night, this sleeper car?

i'm going to be honest though and tell you that other than that, i love this poem.  just the type of thing that i wanted to read tonight,
thanks

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Sleeper Car

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary