navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Death of a Lonely Farmer
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Death of a Lonely Farmer Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Seoulman
since 2000-05-24
Posts 41

0 posted 2000-07-14 10:40 PM

The cock crows
and yellow rays of light
gather on Brahman backs
but the old farmer still doesn't stir.

Empty pails of milk,
untouched,and warmer than
usual,stand by wooden piles
as docile herds lift and sway,
even they notice the day has
begun a little strange.
The old farmer still doesn't stir.

The chooks cackle
while the cock sounds a
late reveille and ravens
pick at sacks of corn
posited short of a firmly
closed barn.
The old farmer still doesn't stir.

Hens gossip, cocks banter,
cows remain meek while ravens
always plunder, and empty
pails complete a picture
as those yellow rays detach
themselves-and-
that old farmer still doesn't stir.

Perhaps weeks.....
will pass, before a bank
manager will notice.  

© Copyright 2000 Seoulman - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-07-15 12:46 PM

Seoulman:

It's a little late in PA so I can't give your poem the attention I think it deserves.  I will say at this time that I think you develop the theme well and I picked up on your clever use of alliteration and assonance (reveile/ravens, for example).

The ending was a little predictable and, to be honest with you, this was disappointing to me.  With the majority of your poem seeming to be so carefully written and descriptive, I expected a little more out of the ending.

Even so, I liked your poem and thought it was a very well written narrative.  Maybe more tomorrow.

Jim

Craig
since 1999-06-10
Posts 444

2 posted 2000-07-15 06:52 AM

I too thought the ending was a little predictable, changing the title might help ‘Death of a Lonely Farmer’ sort of gives the game away, I was expecting him to die or be dead before I read it.

Just a thought.

Craig

Yes, I admit your general rule. That every poet is a fool:
But I myself may serve to show it. That every fool is not a poet.

Seoulman
since 2000-05-24
Posts 41

3 posted 2000-07-15 08:50 AM

Thanks guys for your comments. I think I shouldn't have rushed to get this one out but if I ponder too much I tend to lose it even more. Thanks again for your comments.
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2000-07-16 11:43 PM

Matt,
As I stated before I really liked this one. It has a very Lawson feel to it. I do agree with Craig though that the title should be changed -- it telegraphs what you're doing.

Have a great time in Australia and see ya in a month.

Brad

Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
5 posted 2000-07-18 01:16 AM

hi seoulman!  actually (and i reckon im alone here) im not too big on the repetition every stanza.  maybe just on the first and last stanzas, or even if you skipped it on the third stanza only, i think that would be better.  just an opinion, o'course    great attention to detail though.  
luv Elyse    

notlikely2
since 2000-06-16
Posts 308
UK
6 posted 2000-07-18 04:19 AM

Well, I may be on my own here, but I thought the ending was terrific.
But then I am from the UK and I don't know many farmers. I think that this is a very effective poem particularly for those of us from  a bit further away.
I would have chosen a different title though.
Maybe something like "Money Counts"
On the other hand, was "Death of a Salesman" any less powerful because of it's title?

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
7 posted 2000-07-18 11:27 AM

LOL I was just about to say the same as not likely about the ending but he or she got in first .. (btw notlikely Hi ..i'm from the UK as well).....

specifically i loved the ending because of the little twist of irony it imparted .. unlike NL i know quite a few farmers and even more bank managers ..lol .. and i guess you could really say that a bank manager might be a farmer's best friend ..perhaps his ONLY friend if he grew GM crops .. heh heh   .....

but, yes ... change that title!!

Philip

sash
since 2000-06-22
Posts 125

8 posted 2000-07-21 12:45 PM

Seoulman...I couldn't help but to be drawn into the title. I am a country girl who has worked at the local livestock market for the past eleven years. I have seen Your poem acted out in "real life, and death" many times, by many a colorful character...
Might I say, I have taken it litterally!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Death of a Lonely Farmer

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary