navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » help me PLEASE (killing and sugarbunny)
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic help me PLEASE (killing and sugarbunny) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
rene
since 2000-04-24
Posts 113

0 posted 2000-05-01 07:41 PM

killing

in blood we stood
side by side,
i to the left she to the right

drip down angry and obscene
it had all been
by a click cut short

but called out
for more and click again
silence

empty audio,
paused by the presence of him,
on the floor

in blood we stood
side by side,
i to the left she to the right

red bellied sun
climbed to the sky and shook
it's head at
what we'ed done
----------------------------

essentialy i am to me
a blood splash on a tear stained cheek
the point at which the blade came in
and took away a world of sin
whispered about in secret rhymes
i am a stopped clock of our times
wanted by the graveyard gates
imprisoned by the walls of fate

she licked my lips and flew by night
and i never saw her shine so bright

[This message has been edited by rene (edited 05-01-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 rene - All Rights Reserved
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
1 posted 2000-05-01 09:16 PM

Rene:

I found the violence in both(?) of these poems a little bit disturbing.  The imagery is strong and your words were well chosen but I, personally, am not a big fan of poems like this.  I am curious, though, if the message of the first poem is basically the senselessness of killing.  The reason I am curious is because you don't really give the reader any hints behind the reason for the crime.  I suppose there is nothing wrong with leaving it open ended like you did, leaving the reader wondering "Why?"

I will try to get to the second one later.  I read it quickly and just want to mention that if this is a poem describing suicide, it is not in conformity with the guidelines of the Passions in Poetry forums.  If it is a poem about suicide then I would kindly ask that you edit it out of this post.  Thanks.

Jim  

brandondinsmore
since 1999-10-27
Posts 142
OKC, OK
2 posted 2000-05-01 09:41 PM

I will REPLY.  Great job, as well as effort.
I like the imagery; while this may be a strong subject, it is truly moving, and true of certain natures.

Suggestions:

Maybe more depth in each line, but the simple ease of it all is kind of appealing.

Maybe this:

it had all been,
by a click,
cut short...but
called out for
more...and
click again

...silence...

Anyway, those are just my inexperienced suggestions...Do what you like...

rene
since 2000-04-24
Posts 113

3 posted 2000-05-01 10:25 PM

it is not about suicide, i apologize if you thought so. it is about chasing someone into a vacuum andwatching them escape. i am glad they disturbed you though, if they had not i would have cried, then probably smked a cigarette whilst musing on the point of existence. so as you can see you saved me from acting like a nonce. thankyou. rollover.
Elyse
since 2000-04-16
Posts 414
Apex (think raleigh) NC
4 posted 2000-05-01 11:37 PM

are these two seperarte poems?  on the first - this is interesting, but since its so sparse you'll want to take care with your flow.  to that end i suggest:

change stanza 2 to

by a click cut short
it had all been
drip down angry and obscene

then i would think about whether you really wanted the repetition of quietness that "silent" and "empty audio" give.  also, how can his body "pause" an already "empty audio"?  does this mean there is now sound?  if not, think about how you can better convey what you meant.  maybe some otomatopoea (now i KNOW i didnt spell that right)  might help get that across.

and lastly, i would switch the postition of the last two stanzas and edit a little to maybe give

red bellied sun
climbed the sky
shook its head

side by side,
in blood we stood
i to the left she to the right.

I dont know much to say about the second one, but i like the closing couplet best.

luv Elyse

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » help me PLEASE (killing and sugarbunny)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary