navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Day The Smiley Faces Cried
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Day The Smiley Faces Cried Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
MelBear
since 2000-03-26
Posts 29
Imlay City, Mi

0 posted 2000-03-28 06:16 PM

December 29th 1999 two of my dear friends we killed in a car reck. Jessica was the closest to me.I choose to write this with smiley faces for two reasons...1) Because Jessica Loved them, 2) Because of the fact that they are so silly and Childish. We were all silly and childish untill we buried our friends. I am still healing for the loss of this dear girl and my poetry is my escape.. so I wrote her this.
The day you died
the smiley faces cried

Tears rolled down their cheeks
continuing for weeks and weeks.

None of them will have a real smile
for a long long while.

The day you died
the smiley faces cried

They have no joy to spread
since the day they found out you were dead.

You were taken at just sweet sixteen.
Smiley faces find this cruel and mean.

The day you died
smiley faces cried.

They all question why.
and they continue to cry and cry.

That night in December
is a night all smiley faces will remeber.

Because the night you died
ALL the smiley faces cried.

"Death is not the end. Just a vaction (where you acan still see the world)from friends and family, in time they all follow you to your permanet vacation spot."

© Copyright 2000 Melinda Hays - All Rights Reserved
Marq
since 1999-10-18
Posts 222

1 posted 2000-03-28 07:24 PM

I like the line about the smiley faces crying and etc. though you must be careful not to overdo things sometimes.  Please accept my sympathies.
bboog
since 2000-02-29
Posts 303
Valencia, California
2 posted 2000-03-29 01:37 AM

Mel~
   I wonder if perhaps you might be able to tell us a little bit about Jessica first so that we get to know your friend a little better. What made her special? And perhaps in doing so, you'll better preserve those special memories. Perhaps this will even help you overcome her loss.
    So my suggestion would be to write a stanza or two about Jessica, and then add the ones about her death. To make them more interesting, I suggest that you write in the present tense. Example,
   Jessica loves the color pink
    She likes to listen to In-sync
   And put a smiley happy face
   on everythink
   especially when she writes to me.

Hope this helps you. My sympathies go out to you and her family via this message.
best regards,
bboog

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » The Day The Smiley Faces Cried

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary