navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Moderator's Choice: kevintaylor for his poem entitled "i, I ain't"
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Moderator's Choice: kevintaylor for his poem entitled "i, I ain't" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Trevor
since 1999-08-12
Posts 700
Canada

0 posted 2000-02-14 02:15 AM

Okay dokey,
Here's the deal. Every once in awhile (we're thinking maybe once a week), the moderators of the site would pick out a particular poem that we thought "stood out" and repost it as a method to help encourage discussion about poetry. Maybe a poem we could all momentarily focus on and disect and discuss together. Now this is only a test run and of course everyone's opinion is asked to see if this is something you good people of CA would like or dislike. Of course if you guys/gals don't want this we will immediately scrap the idea. So for our first selection we chose a unique poem, both in flow and wording, by kevintaylor entitled "i, I ain't".....so whether you just want to read or critique or comment on whether you think doing this is a good or bad idea then pleeease fire away. Thanks everyone and take care,
Trevour

"i, I ain't"     by kevintaylor

i, I ain't
but name
and named
are all but same
to some
though none
I'd care to id with
if id had one iota
of truth beyond its pithless
fruit of grinning idiots.
We are, nameless,
I-men, striving
far above the beggars notion
of spare change and spartan motion
(less the discipline, of course, and honor too) -
to chart the vistas of our own creation
while lesser men misspell their lives awry
and so become (already were?)
phonetic beings (all!).
Trading i for I
the i-man reaching downward
splits the rhizomed root
whence I- had parted
splicing fungused-i to feed
upon his stolen
I-man grace. And struts.

A parasite, then.
Galt knew. At least Ayn said he did.
i-man, i-beast, i-mud-man-beast. I have no patience left.
Waste them all.

*Galt is a character in "Atlas Shrugged," a book by Ayn Rand

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Brad (edited 02-14-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Trevor Davis - All Rights Reserved
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
1 posted 2000-02-14 05:24 AM

I think it's a great idea  

later

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
2 posted 2000-02-14 10:22 AM

Well, I think it's a great idea. Oh, wait, I'm a moderator so I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

Brad

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
3 posted 2000-02-14 05:31 PM

Trevor,

I think it is an excellent idea too. And this was an interesting selection for the first one. It seems like we haven't heard much from Kevin lately.

Thanks.
< !signature-->

Pete

What terms shall I find sufficiently simple in their sublimity --
     sufficiently sublime in their simplicity --
     for the mere enunciation of my theme?
          Edgar Allan Poe

[This message has been edited by Not A Poet (edited 02-14-2000).]

Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

4 posted 2000-02-15 08:07 AM

Excellent idea, Trevor.  Looks like it's a go. (Did you warn Kevin he was going to be singled out for special dissection?)  I'll take a shot at it this evening,if I can.  My first snapshot feel is that I prefer work like this, that attempts to reach beyond the horizon, to work that squirms around in the same old place -- the problem being that the former is more likely to break in two in mid-stretch.  

And Brad, OF COURSE you're allowed to have an opinion.  Just keep it to yourself.  (Smiley face, tongue out, all that.)

Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

5 posted 2000-02-16 04:38 PM

I've waited a day to see if this is *really* a go, and comment seems to have stopped dead.  So no heavy dissection at this time.  I'll just say that I think this is mostly a train-of-sub-consciousness piece that really calls for a workover by the conscious mind.  (If it turns out that this IS Kevin's conscious mind speaking, then oops.)
Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
6 posted 2000-02-16 08:05 PM

I think it is a nice idea, but also think one should be notified prior to this extra attention a poem receives. Also maybe you monerators should give a short explaination why you are choosing a particular poem, and what the style is etc. in other words educate us a little about that particular form of poetry. I for one know what I like but don't know in particular why, nor do I always know what form a poem is written in.  
  Normally I like Kevin's poems, but this one, I find hard to read, sounds sort of choppy and can't really get an full understanding of what it is about, maybe it is above my head. That's just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Septsong (edited 02-16-2000).]

J.L. Humphres
since 2000-01-03
Posts 201
Alabama
7 posted 2000-02-17 12:45 PM

Trevor,
  I think this is a cool idea.

Not having any prior knowledge by which to base any opinion on the literary allusions,(which must be of some signifcance to this poem) I don't really feel I'm particularly qualified to critique this work. However it seems to be a piece concerning the insignificance of man as an individual. That is an idea I do not relate to what so ever. "I" is the only person I'll ever truly know in this world (and even he gives me fits on occasion). As such I should hope that "I" has some sort of cosmic impact, if so, no matter how miniscule(sp?) I should think it would be signifcant. Just a thought.
                      J.L.H.  

Jason
I...I have seen the best minds of my generation...
--Allen Ginsberg

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
8 posted 2000-02-17 09:56 AM

Trevor ..... i ... still ... think... this ... is ... a .... great .... idea ...just .. not ... had ... time .. to get .. to ..it ....yet ... and ... rather ... than ... post  ... a .... short ... and ... meaningless .. reply .... i ... will ... wait ... till.. i ... have ... time ... to ... look ... at ... it... in .... depth ..

P

whatwasthataboutnotlikingdots????

Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

9 posted 2000-02-17 04:36 PM

Pete's getting a bit dotty in his old age?
Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

10 posted 2000-02-17 04:38 PM

I meant Philip . . .  Maybe I'm the dotty one . . . ?
Kevin Taylor
since 1999-12-23
Posts 185
near Vancouver, BC, Canada
11 posted 2000-02-17 04:47 PM

After a hard hard hard-drive crash I am mid picking up the bits and pieces... and then I get a note from Jim saying that I should high-tail it over here and see what is going on with i, I ain't.

Well, glad to be picked! And glad to read the many comments.

I say:

Ted - I was fully aware when I wrote it... my subconscious is not that well organized .. LOL

Septsong - Yes, it is a bit choppy.. mainly between paragraphs.. oops.. stanzas. It was written that way. Sort of a curmudgeon piece at first glance.  One thing I experiment with is communicating an emotional tone.. making an emotional impact, even when the words themselves do not seem to be sequitor. I was doing some of that here.

J.L. - The allusion to Ayn Rand and Galt only serves to round out the poem.

I've revised the poem a bit since posting it. I have some attention stuck on a line or two and so I'll have to tweak them or turf them too.

Let me say... and I'd like to thank... and ... and.. aannd.. and.. and.. and most of all ... (sounds from the mosh pit zzzz zzzzz z zzz)...

Kevin

"Poetry is, at once, what you get... and how you got there."

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
12 posted 2000-02-17 05:30 PM

Ohhh Ted please don't trouble y'self Pete and I are kinda becoming like siamese twins, except why is it that people always call me Pete but never him Philip (hummm not sure i like the implications  )  .. as for the dotty you're only wrong in using the word "getting" ......lol

P

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Moderator's Choice: kevintaylor for his poem entitled "i, I ain't"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary