navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Aquifer .... Lucifer
Critical Analysis #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Aquifer .... Lucifer Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK

0 posted 2000-02-09 05:24 PM

Deer beneath the hemlock sip then sleep
Sip the hemlock dear then sleep beneath

© Copyright 2000 Poertree - All Rights Reserved
roxane
since 1999-09-02
Posts 505
us
1 posted 2000-02-09 07:54 PM

i don't know if i have enough time to adequately critique this epic, p.  well, maybe.  you seem to have taken some homophones and a scary sentence and made it into something that sort of wouldn't make any sense if not for the other line.  i like it, dark.  i had a question for you though:  who was that going on about not offering enough detailed critiques?  i think he may have replied to my poem with a couple words...if it was trevor, anyways should i be insulted?  or is it a joke?  or was it not trevor?  anyways, your poem, or whatever these two lovely lines are is great.
jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
Whole Sort Of Genl Mish Mash
2 posted 2000-02-09 07:59 PM

Philip:

This is very interesting.  What brought this manner of inspiration on?  I suspect it "hit you when you were not looking".  Very good and very interesting.

The only stick in the spokes is that the first line must be read as an imperative (telling the deer to drink) in order to be grammatically correct when I think it reads more naturally as a narrative (describing the deer drinking).  

I liked this.  

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

poetry_kills
since 1999-12-04
Posts 549
new orleans
3 posted 2000-02-09 11:46 PM

poertree: this is the first time i've ever seen a poem like this and i think you did it amazingly well... this required more thought and time than i probably ever gave any of my poems...

sincerely,
jerome the mysterious priest

A savage place! as holy and enchanted
As e'er beneath a waning moon was haunted
By woman wailing for her demon-lover!
~Coleridge

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
4 posted 2000-02-10 10:51 AM

Hi Philip,

This is a nice use of the words. Almost what one might call an enlightened pun. Simple but to the point. I'm not sure the final "beneath" really means anything without further explanation or elaboration, but it doesn't bother me at all as it is. And, of course to add more would destroy the poem. (I added that last part mostly so Trevor would not get after me.)

And Jim, to me it reads grammatically correct. Add some punctuation, like periods at the end of each line, and I think it is alright. But since Philip didn't punctuate anything, it seems to be just fine as it is.

Thanks.

Pete

What terms shall I find sufficiently simple in their sublimity --
sufficiently sublime in their simplicity --
for the mere enunciation of my theme?
Edgar Allan Poe

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
5 posted 2000-02-10 11:06 AM

Pete I have to run right now but you raised the very point i wrote to someone else about this morning so if you don't mind i'll just copy and paste and be back later  :

"....and at first i couldn't see how to work the word "beneath" into the second line .. then the phrase "to lay beneath the sod" in respect of burying a body came to mind, together with the idea of going to hell or Hades beneath after death .. so off I went into a reverie about an abused wife poisoning an evil husband and sending him to hell .. hence the Lucifer.  I needed to have the deer sipping something (at first a water trough) then the idea of the assonance with Lucifer and the water bearing strata."

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
6 posted 2000-02-10 12:12 PM

Sorry Philip, I don't think I said quite what I meant. I'm not a fast typist by any means, but I seem to type faster than I think.  

Instead of saying beneath doesn't mean anything without elaboration, I meant to say it is possibly incomplete or ambiguous. That is not necessarily a bad thing as it chalenges the reader a bit. I can, and I suspect most readers can, easily fill in the blank or interpret there without any trouble.

I still stand by the rest of my comment that it doesn't need anything else. I like the compactness.

Pete

What terms shall I find sufficiently simple in their sublimity --
sufficiently sublime in their simplicity --
for the mere enunciation of my theme?
Edgar Allan Poe

warmhrt
since 1999-12-18
Posts 1563

7 posted 2000-02-10 03:53 PM

Philip,
This two line piece fascinated me, and also challenged me to give it a try. This is nowhere as colorful as yours, but here it is:

A bear detects a signal in a slight human scent,
A human detects a bare slight sent in a signal.

As I'm really not familiar with this (or is it your own creation?), so I'm not sure if the words are in the right places or if the rules were followed.

It did fascinate me.

Kris< !signature-->

If I can ease one life  the aching,
Or cool one pain,...
I shall not live in vain - Emily Dickinson

[This message has been edited by warmhrt (edited 02-10-2000).]

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
8 posted 2000-02-10 04:44 PM

Yes Rox very dark .. and very short .....lol

Jim

" What brought this manner of inspiration on?  I suspect it "hit you when you were not looking"."  

hey you are so right what brought on that sudden burst of sensitivity Jim ..lol

Hummphhh ... I can't see why it can't read as a narrative .. mind you i never was great on grammar

Not a lot Jerome .. not a lot ..... but thanks

Pete as always you are so courteous and kind and i apologise for being hasty with my "beneath" explanation

Ahhhhhhh yes Kris

This is the what is know as a "couplet-uno" ... lol

Actually I just made it up on the spur of the moment based upon something a friend said.  Yours is pretty clever as well although it breaks one fundamental rule .. that the lines must have identical length ...  there are other rules as well but you kept within those ..lol  

Thanks to you as well

Philip

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

9 posted 2000-02-10 09:33 PM

Hmmm.
OK

I like!

Now - I am curious. WHAT is the deer in the first line sipping? Is it water - like a lake - but does hemlock actually grow that high to fit a deer under it? Maybe it's just a little deer...wasn't sure...lol.

I do indeed like the last 'beneath' - quite chilling - and definitely evokes the image of a grave.

Jim - the thing with poetry (or Poetree? hehe), I feel, is that grammar is not a necessity and I read the first line instantly as descriptive - though I can see how you read the imperative. Description would technically need plurals on sip and sleep.

I am intrigued by this P - truly intrigued and you have executed a freezing job indeed.

'Writing sharpens life;
life enriches writing'
Sylvia Plath

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
10 posted 2000-02-10 09:50 PM

AHHHH!!!  HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!  Sometimes it just takes a few bruskis to get the old mind working the way it should.  The plural of "deer" is "deer".  If you are talking about more than one then "sip" and "sleep" are fine.  For example.

The one deer sips and sleeps

vs.

All the deer sip and sleep

No grammar problems as long as there are more than one deer. Two deer are "deer" unless you are in the southern US and then you would say:  "Hey ... look at dem dare deers." lol  

Sorry for my thick-skull-edness my pedantic friend.  Real life has been a bit of a pooper lately.  lol

Jim

"If I rest, I rust." - Martin Luther

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

11 posted 2000-02-15 06:41 PM

OI!!!
PHILLIP!!!
RESPONSES PLEASE - we have a grammar war going...

Jim - I just automatically read it as one deer - to match the one 'dear' in the bottom line - that is my pedantic mind for you!!

So - P, what did you intend it to be?
(And if it were more than one then you WOULD have problems putting them all under that hemlock!!!!)

K

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
12 posted 2000-02-16 09:40 AM

Kamla my deer you were "automatically" reading "wrongly" ... multiple deers are envisaged ..

as if I would admit anything else and have to concede grammatical incompetence ..lol

as for impossibilities .. I am reliably informed that in some idyllic far off place the hemlock and the deer (plural) really do exist - and I believe her ..

P

Oh and your other query .. that was the reason for the title "Aquifer" ... "water bearing strata" .. I had a spring in mind..

[This message has been edited by Poertree (edited 02-17-2000).]

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

13 posted 2000-02-17 04:30 PM

Well now, let me think...

Hmmm

I sure hope those deer don't accidently drink any hemlock that may have accidently fallen into the spring...no more deer...

Hehe

Me? Wrong? Not likely! Poetry is subjective so I still maintain that there is ONE deer...

Jim? Got anything to add?

'Writing sharpens life;
life enriches writing'
Sylvia Plath

jbouder
Member Elite
since 1999-09-18
Posts 2534
14 posted 2000-02-17 04:37 PM

Kamla:

You had to ask, didn't you?  I think Philip meant there to be more than one deer but only one dear and this particular hemlock happens to be unusually large.  He just had to omit "unusually large hemlock" because then he would have had to change his poem to read:

Deer beneath the unusually large hemlock sip then sleep
Sip the hemlock unusually large dear then sleep beneath

You see Kamla?  Doesn't work as well.     There, Philip, I said what you wanted me to say ... now where is my cash?

Ted Reynolds
since 1999-12-15
Posts 331

15 posted 2000-02-17 04:55 PM

I sure got late to this, but I find it stunningly different.  I had no trouble with grammar or anything else -- it got me right between the eyes right off.  Really special!

I'm impressed by Warmhrt's quick riposte too -- we shouldn't fault *her* that "scent" and "sent" don't have the same number of letters.

By the way, you could stuff in "lightly" before both "sip" in the first line and "sleep" in the second, thus bringing more light to add to the water.

Aren't the gods of poetry kind once in a while, Philip.  Wishing you many more such.  

Poertree
since 1999-11-05
Posts 1359
UK
16 posted 2000-02-17 05:12 PM

Hi Ted

Don't care how "late" you are if you are going to be so kind and helpful.. thanks

I quite like "lightly" especially in the first line .. I am not quite sure how it works in the second if i stay true to the thought in mind when i wrote it.  Would a wife in the process of murdering her husband wish him to "sleep lightly" ?? just a thought ...

Thanks again

P

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Critical Analysis #1 » Aquifer .... Lucifer

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary