navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » This Soldier Won't Be Home
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic This Soldier Won't Be Home Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet In Pink
Posts 1066
MI

0 posted 2017-12-08 01:23 AM

Why be merry for theres no reason
This Soldiers far from home this season
No turkey dinner or fruit filled pies
Just recollections and tearful eyes

No Christmas tree or gifts wrapped gaily
Just duties that are performed daily
No sounds of laughter filling the air
No mistle~toe to lovingly share

No sleigh~rides while singing some carols
Just the view down M~16 barrells
No sugar~plums dancin' in my head
Just reoccurring visions of the dead

No warm hugs nor any home~made fudge
Just the cruel terrain that my feet trudge
Yet memories whisk me right back home
Always with me wherever I roam

Remember me on this Christmas day
Defending the American way
And as another year slips on by
I'll serve my country and ask not why

© Poet In Pink
© Copyright 2017 Poet In Pink - All Rights Reserved
Bluesy Socrateaser
Member Elite
since 2002-11-07
Posts 2417
In The Mirror
1 posted 2017-12-08 02:52 AM

You always write such heartfelt poetry, Miss Pinky, but perhaps even more so when writing of veterans. I didn't ask "why" until I came home. I wasn't alone, but no one chose to give us a satisfactory answer. The time for questions was always after the fact...as it must be if a disciplined fighting force is to be effective. It was part of the oath I swore to a long time ago. The irony is that your enemy isn't asking "why" either. So, it's the overwhelming force versus the immovable object...and so it goes to this day and certainly beyond.

I always enjoy reading you, Miss Pinky and I offer you an owed apology which you'll find here:   /pip/Forum115/HTML/000836.html

...just bein' Bluesy

[This message has been edited by Bluesy Socrateaser (12-08-2017 03:30 AM).]

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
2 posted 2017-12-08 04:54 AM

PinkyGIJoe,
This is a wonderful piece! You have such a talent. Sometimes I get a little jelli... ~L

Poet In Pink
Posts 1066
MI
3 posted 2017-12-09 04:51 PM

Thank you for your visit and kind words Bluesy     Yes I do have a high regard and gratefulness for those that serve...Past/Present. I belong to an organization called Soldiers Angels ~ We send cards and letters and gift packages to those serving     By the way I love that song you sent...One of my favs and sometimes I sing it at karaoke ~ Thanks again for always taking the time to read   
Poet In Pink
Posts 1066
MI
4 posted 2017-12-09 04:57 PM

Thank you for your sweet words Lori Lou...BUT I'll not hear of you being "jelli" ~ You have just as much talent at writing as anyone.  You write from the heart and have the most magical metaphors...I wasn't kidding when I told you that. Everyone has their own style so don't go changing yours ~ I love it just the way it is!!!  Huggerz PinkyGIJoe  
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » This Soldier Won't Be Home

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary