navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » Cancer Of The Lung - part 2
Open Poetry #50
Post A Reply Post New Topic Cancer Of The Lung - part 2 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas

0 posted 2020-06-09 04:07 PM

Cancer Of The Lung - part 2

When I look . . .
When I see the pain around me,
when I think of me,
the affliction I have,
I feel so damn small
thinking . . .
I’m something special.

And I’m touched
by all those who
don’t complain at all.

Pity me,
not for my condition,
but for thinking
I was significant . . . at all.

© wesley james beard, jr.
june 09, 2020

© Copyright 2020 Wesley James Beard, Jr. - All Rights Reserved
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere
1 posted 2020-06-09 04:39 PM

Jimmy,
It is your battle to do as you choose. I can not pity you for thinking you were significant. You may feel meaningless as a grain of sand, but to me you are as significant as that grain of sand in my eye. I celebrate your presence in my life and I will grieve your passing. I pity those that love you so that will bear witness to the cruelty of the disease. Much love and hugs and blessing be upon your heart. ~L

Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
2 posted 2020-06-09 09:56 PM

I won't pity you for your condition, but I won't agree with your thoughts on your significance. Thinking you aren't is what makes you just that.

"Maybe that's the way I should go
Straight into the mouth of the unknown"

Shinedown

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
3 posted 2020-06-09 10:05 PM

Sometimes, you wonder. . .

"Am I doing this right?"  

It's then, that you realize. . .you're doing it the only way you know how.  

-- That which gives light must endure burning.
Viktor Frankl

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
4 posted 2020-06-09 11:04 PM

In part one, you spoke of this not being able to take or beat the spirit out of you...  I've known many people with cancer who had the complete opposite vantage point, curled up in a ball, and moaned their existence for the rest of their days.  They might as well of passed away the day they learned of it.  I am watching my own mother do it now.  I apologize if this isn't said with very, very very tired here but I wanted to reply to this.  The courage you displayed in part one was commendable, but it's the passion you showed for life itself that was so moving to me.  Living!  There is a country song about living each day as if it's your last.  About the knowledge of days being numbered granting a perspective that most people aren't lucky enough to have.  Make plans, James.  Do all you can to enjoy the rest of your life.  It is a gift, though few of us ever realize it.  A gift we should all appreciate a little bit more.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Open Poetry #50 » Cancer Of The Lung - part 2

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary