navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Balladeer's The Kingdom of Lox
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Balladeer's The Kingdom of Lox Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA

0 posted 2016-08-27 07:01 PM

KINGDOM OF LOX

When I was just a young boy sitting on my father's knee,
I marveled at all the stories and fables he nightly told to me
And one fable, in particular, stayed in my memory -
About the small kingdom of Lox.

Lox was ruled by a kind and gentle king
Who gave his subjects everything
But he had one quirk, one tiny thing
Which made a paradox.

He would send gifts to his subjects - precious gold and diamond rings,
Porcelain vases, painting masterpieces, pottery and things
But each precious gift he wrapped up, tied it with a piece of string
And used a flimsy box.

The recipients were proud that he had sent them such a token
(Though, normally, when they unwrapped it, they would find it broken),
But they considered him eccentric - not an unkind word was spoken.
Such was life in the kingdom of Lox.

Late last week my father left me - calmly up and passed away,
A spirit so unbending lost to sickness and decay.
The ticking of a heart with strength to take one's breath away
Stopped .... like a rusted, battered clock.

And me, I spend time contemplating life and death and things
And who will win the pennant - will the grass return in spring?
How beautiful the moon looks when I hear Frank Sinatra sing -
And about the small kingdom of Lox.

Now, when nighttime falls and crickets sing
I wonder and ponder on why MY king
Placed such a very precious thing
In such a fragile box.

© Copyright 2016 Nancy Ness - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2016-08-27 07:01 PM

Back in May of 1999, when we opened these wonderful forums, Ron wanted to create a safe haven for talented, family oriented poets to share their thoughts among each other.  The walls were a bit quiet then, so I went about finding some talented writers.  At another site, I encountered this wonderful writer who was posting in a quagmire of "Slam Poetry."  I pulled this "Balladeer" up by his rhyming quatrains and invited him to come on over to a place where the "big guys" were posting.  Mike immediately packed his poetic bags and joined our group.  The rest is history, folks.

From that day forth, and for the ensuing 17 years, Michael Mack has graced our site with some of the arguably best work to be found on any existing online poetry site.

We have laughed with him, cried with him, partied with him (along side of his lovely and gracious lady, Fran).  He has reached out to participate in most every poetic conclave we've held over the years, and he has been a constant cornerstone of our teeming poetic walls.  Mike has been there for everyone, and has supported me personally whenever there has been a need.

I have researched our archives, and found his "Kingdom of Lox" to be one of his very first PiPtalk offerings in June of 1999.  Please re-read Mike's wisdom, enjoy it, and hold him in your hearts, as he has for all of us over the years.

RIP my DEER, DEER friend.  You are indeed our BALLADEER    

Redstart
since 2014-05-16
Posts 535

2 posted 2016-08-27 07:16 PM

Humbles me, and quite frankly, it holds a mirror to my face. And I don't like what I see.
DaysofView
since 2014-04-01
Posts 433
Just A Slice Of The Pie
3 posted 2016-08-27 10:15 PM

My dad was one who wrote us four kids stories about make believe lands and hero's...and kings too. It's great to come up with such magical moments during our young years and the best we all can do is perpetuate that magic. The dad's and mom's will leave us, just as we will go too. We can only hope to leave such good memories as this.

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...not like the passengers screaming in the back of his car.

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2016-08-28 01:33 AM

Thanks Nan. For everything.
Bluesy Socrateaser
Member Elite
since 2002-11-07
Posts 2417
In The Mirror
5 posted 2016-08-28 01:52 AM

Thanks for posting this Nan...quite fitting.

BTS

...just bein' Bluesy

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
6 posted 2016-08-28 08:34 AM

Thank you for posting this Nan, and for the story of how Michael arrived here on the pages blue. I will be forever grateful that we came to know his heart through his memorable characters and stories here. He touched so many lives in so many ways. Sending you love and hugs at this sad time.
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
7 posted 2016-08-28 09:24 AM

Wonderful memories, Nan. The Balladeer is smiling.

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

jjote
since 2002-12-25
Posts 1088
Ontario, Canada
8 posted 2016-08-28 12:30 PM

I haven't been much of active member here, though recently when I tried to write a villanelle, miracle of miracles, Balladeer commented on my posting, gave very helpful coaching till I finally got an OK From him.

I'm sorry (is he gone for real?) to read about him.  I like this magical poem of his, glad you have posted it Nan.

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
9 posted 2016-08-28 04:01 PM

Thank you, Nan. Not only was one of his first posts, it's so very fitting.

I'm so glad your fishing expedition landed such a catch for PIP! He touched our hearts with his poetry, charmed us with his humor - and will be missed as long as we have breath.

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
10 posted 2016-08-29 01:29 AM

He always made me think...Thanks for sharing Nan
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
11 posted 2016-08-30 08:18 PM

He encourged all,
Discouraged none.

Rest well, our Deer friend.

Redstart
since 2014-05-16
Posts 535

12 posted 2016-08-30 09:59 PM

Can I tell you this? My father told us stories, in voices and pictures, depending on his geography. He told us of  Fleetfoot and Fleet Of Foot. Silver ponies that carried my brothers and myself to The Happy Hunting Grounds. They carried gifts of gold and silver, but when the saddle was unwrapped, the present was merely paper. Letters from our father, which I still hold like hungry lips to a mother's breast. A nd, Blitzy, the little tin boy that no-one loved, exept us. I've had too much to drink. Forgive me.
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
13 posted 2016-08-30 11:11 PM

Its nice when you can remember someone and their writing with fondness...thanks Nan...james
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

14 posted 2016-08-31 11:06 AM

Thank you Nan, for the heartfelt tribute to Mike...he was a genius, wish I had told him how much he was appreciated, what a gift he was, to read and know.  I'm sorry for all of you, who knew him so much better...God bless you all, and thank you for sharing your blessings of talent in these blue pages.  You are all such a very significant part of this great forum and family.  Mike/Balladeer, may you forever be alive within your words...your family and friends were fortunate to have you...extremely rich.  Thank you for all you gave to us.  
miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
15 posted 2016-09-03 08:37 PM

Nan, thank you for giving background of the great Deer and reposting this meaningful poem.

Misc

Oklahoma Rose
since 2008-02-28
Posts 1586
Oklahoma USA
16 posted 2016-09-03 11:16 PM

Thank you Nan for posting this. I haven't seen this one. I will always remember his kindness and encouraging words. He will be deep,y missed.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Balladeer's The Kingdom of Lox

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary