navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Sorrow (for Dallas)
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sorrow (for Dallas) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
Fair to middlin' of nowhere

0 posted 2016-07-08 03:41 PM

Sorrow for the broken hearts
consumed with loss
forever changed
by hate.
Sorrow for the broken dream’s
shattered pieces.
Lives lie incomplete
by hate
Sorrow for the broken peace
showing unity.
Successful soiled
by hate

© Copyright 2016 Lori Grosser Rhoden - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2016-07-08 04:59 PM

Yes. Agreed, Lori . . .

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
2 posted 2016-07-08 05:06 PM

The hate goes both ways, black lives do matter and racial tensions run rampant among so many....it is what divides our society resorting to killing to make a point. I can't wrap my head around that kind of hatred that is all consuming.

Very sad times we live in.

[This message has been edited by BluesSerenade (07-08-2016 05:44 PM).]

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
3 posted 2016-07-08 07:57 PM

It is difficult for me to comment, these mass killings are so repetitive they are in danger of becoming the norm, something which too many Americans have learned live with.
Is there an answer? Yes, but its one (To misquote Lord Alfred Douglas) One that dare not speak its name.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2016-07-08 10:27 PM

A Senator made a comment saying 95% of the Police are good, dedicated and honest, if these numbers are correct, the other 5%, the bad one's, are bringing misfortune upon the good ones...james
Ari Squire
Posts 488
In The Phallus Lane
5 posted 2016-07-09 12:07 PM

quote:
"these mass killings are so repetitive they are in danger of becoming the norm"
This is true to its fullest extent. Spend an evening in many American households and check the body count by 10pm or so. Pretty desensitizing altogether. Indifference is wafting with the gun smoke.
quote:
"A Senator made a comment saying 95% of the Police are good, dedicated and honest, if these numbers are correct, the other 5%, the bad one's, are bringing misfortune upon the good ones"
Think of the number of police officers represented in the "5%" group. For example, if the department had 1500 officers, 75 of them would be "bad". That's 75 clowns with a badge and a gun. I don't think I'd be bragging about that Senator.

More feelings and fewer words please

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
6 posted 2016-07-09 08:51 AM

Thanks for all your thoughtful comments.

I found it painfully ironic that this particular demonstration was the most peaceful and without incident from the protesters and it wasn't until it was over and everyone was quietly dispersing that all hell broke loose.  It is sad and alarming to think that the shooter was trained to kill by the government to serve in Afghanistan. I would not be surprised if PTSD didn't play a role in the shooter's decision making. Not that PTSD is an excuse of his actions. But PTSD has made many people fragile in these painfully frustrating times and they can be self destructive time bombs. There is sorrow for their suffering too. ~L

[This message has been edited by Lori Grosser Rhoden (07-09-2016 10:07 AM).]

Redstart
since 2014-05-16
Posts 535

7 posted 2016-08-15 09:51 PM

What is happening and will happen more: Disillusioned, poor, African-Americans will feel more alienated from 'society'. It doesn't matter whether an African-American cop shoots an African-American, whether he is an outlaw or not. History will not rest, and the legacy of slavery hangs like the sword of Damocles over American society. Black people feel that they are still second-class citizens, and they have good reason to feel that way. Who fills the prisons? Who fills the low-paid jobs? Who is victimised because of their appearance? A black president has changed nothing. There is trouble on the horizon; mark my words. Trump will reignite the horror of the sixties, if you are mad enough to vote him in! You have no idea how frightening it is, on this side of The Pond: the thought of Trump being the man in control of the world's fate. Horrendous!

[This message has been edited by Redstart (08-15-2016 10:22 PM).]

Lori Grosser Rhoden
Member Patricius
since 2009-10-10
Posts 10202
8 posted 2016-08-16 06:04 PM

Trump scares the hell out of me! ~L
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Sorrow (for Dallas)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary