navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Her First Dream
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Her First Dream Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Cari
Posts 411
Englnand

0 posted 2016-05-12 05:48 AM

The Nursery
A Harrods fairyland
Kitsch stuffed flotsam
Glass eyed staring
~
Sleeping innocence
Fresh from the pulsing cave
Soaped, creamed, powdered
Arms raised in pink surrender
~
On life’s blank page,
Still to be written
She dreams
Through unfocussed eyes
Of picture fears
~
Twists, fights
The counterpane prison
Trapped in terror
Under Tesco stars

Note.

This poem is on watching our new baby Sarah dreaming when not yet a day old and wondering how could that be after only a few hours of life. There are explanations, though there some I don’t really want to think about.
The Tesco stars are from a nursery ceiling projector

© Copyright 2016 Cari - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2016-05-12 09:02 AM

Sure, I suppose a day old baby can dream. Maybe dream of where is spent the last nine months. Why not?

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

Pete_W
Posts 185
Scotland (UK)
2 posted 2016-05-12 11:16 AM

Nice write Cari, enjoyed reading.
Pete

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
3 posted 2016-05-12 12:18 PM

Sure, I suppose a day old baby can dream. Maybe dream of where is spent the last nine months. Why not

Well I did some digging around on the subject and discovered some surprising facts. The first sign of consciousness in a baby appears around 4-5 months after birth. Without the experience of being conscious there is no ability to remember anything.

I was under the impression that Sarah could see my wife and me after her birth but I was wrong, she could see only blobs of light. Actually a baby’s hearing is much more advanced than her sight. The first thing she recognizes is not her mothers face but the sound of her voice.

As for her dreaming, it shouldn’t happen, but it does, REM sleep is easily recognizable
But there’s no scientific explanation for how and why a new born baby has the ability to dream.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Her First Dream

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary