navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » God
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic God Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana

0 posted 2016-03-07 10:11 PM

For those who are believers, I trust you do not get upset with this posting. I wrote it hoping it would be taken in a humorous way.

I chanced upon God.
He ducked behind a parked vehicle

I was determined to talk to Him.
I had things to say

I walked around the vehicle.
There He was

I zigged.
He zagged

I lost him in a crowd of Islam suicide bombers

©February 17, 2016 / Jerry Pat Bolton

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

© Copyright 2016 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
DaysofView
since 2014-04-01
Posts 433
Just A Slice Of The Pie
1 posted 2016-03-08 12:36 PM

Oh my! I'm glad no one was hurt!

If I were more than I am, I'd see things differently instead of the same all the time.

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
2 posted 2016-03-08 07:34 AM

Well now!
Are you insinuating God got blown up?

You shoulda Zagged!!
Man your eyes are good!
The Bible says God is an invisible spirit being, but I always figured you for a guy with sharp eyes........

I get your point Jerry, he just didn't have time for you that day. Had a lot on his plate.

Interesting my man and I enjoyed it!

Eric

true love never looks after it's own interests

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
3 posted 2016-03-08 07:56 AM

Thanks, Eric. Happy you didn't get offended by my attempt at humor. Posted this on another site and the comments wasn't very complementary.

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2016-03-08 07:57 AM

Thanks DV, for your kind thoughts . . .

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
5 posted 2016-03-08 09:57 AM

You haven’t been at the Jack Daniels again have you? I told you a nice mug of cocoa at bedtime is all you need.

Religion for the individual is Ok; by me, it’s when men get their grubby hands on it its turns a bit pear shaped.
Never given it much thought though, what happens, happens, but a strange story which is 100% true.

For the first two or three years of my life, so I am told, I called my mother ‘Day’ which was very confusing and disturbing for my mother and I can see why. The word has absolutely no connection with the word mother whatsoever; also apparently the rest of my vocabulary was fine, even advanced for my age. After those infant years the word vanished and it was always mother.

A year ago I was idly surfing the net and came across a site on the Romany Language and found the entry below.

Darro Dowry, bride-price 5
Dav opre "I give upwards" ie read aloud 1.11
Day Mother 1.41
Desrobireja Emancipation from slavery (Romani, from Romanian)

I was so shocked I just sat there staring at the screen.

jjote
since 2002-12-25
Posts 1088
Ontario, Canada
6 posted 2016-03-08 11:08 AM

I'm a believer most days, even then I enjoyed reading this. The God I know has a great sense of humor, and I remember reading one passage where an angry crowd of people were surging around him to the edge of a cliff, and what He did put a smile on my face - He just walked past through them invisible (I always think He must have put on a smile as He did so))..my interpretation, so I hope I also don't offend believers.
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
7 posted 2016-03-08 11:13 AM

Thank you Cari. Of course you would find Him among the suicide bombers. Maybe I didn’t bring the point into clear enough focus. Of course He would be among the Islamic suicide bombers, taking "His" word to them.

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
8 posted 2016-03-08 11:15 AM

jjote, you have the right idea, like I told Cari . . . when I wrote this poem, was thinking of course you would find Him among the suicide bombers. Maybe I didn’t bring the point into clear enough focus. Of course He would be among the Islamic suicide bombers, taking "His" word to them.

Cari
Posts 411
Englnand
9 posted 2016-03-09 08:35 AM

Quote: Of course you would find Him among the suicide bombers

I think it may depend on what god you had your encounter with. The trouble with a belief in the god figure is that there are so many of them. Even the Christian religion differs from Protestant to Catholic, Mormon to Quakers and so on, and all think that their interpretation is the correct one and that’s when the trouble starts.

Loved the poem by the way. Chasing God, who is hiding behind parked cars is a unique thought that brought a giggle out of me, ‘Come out, Come out wherever you are’

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
10 posted 2016-03-09 08:38 AM

Heh.Heh Yeah, you're right about so many gods, Cari. In this case I was thinking about about the god who lives in Heaven. Anyway, much obliged for checking out the poem. It is appreciated.

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
11 posted 2016-03-09 09:03 AM

Your poem is very good, shows how elusive the god some perceive is.

What we try to do is make our god better than all of the others..but that doesn't really work, because to do so is to identify our source as a tagable-touchable thing.
And we think we can desribe it/him/her in a solid form.

Only a poet is allowed to do that, like you have here..in metaphore.

"The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things"
Tao Ching-chapter 1.

The suicide bomber is trying to name the Tao (source)
The people that are bombed are also trying to name the Tao.

One side is stonger in their feelings to do so-both are wrong.

good write Mr Jerry

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
12 posted 2016-03-09 09:20 AM

Ah, Ice you give my little poem a monumental comment, not at all sure it is deserved, however, I thank you profusely.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » God

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary