navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Boundaries
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Boundaries Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana

0 posted 2016-01-29 09:19 PM

thoughts of mine have drawn boundaries
self survival lines
spread out like a spider's silken web
my thoughts have become my isthmus
by my imagination
and the self survival of me
powerful words
to live by
still . . . boundaries tend to box you inside
the prison you've given yourself
and . . .
if you are not careful
boundaries will completely engulf you
into an extreme black hole
with all escape hatches
painted glumly
refusing the independence
you desperately realize
you have to have

©January 22, 2015 / Jerry Pat Bolton

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

[This message has been edited by JerryPat2 (01-30-2016 05:04 PM).]

© Copyright 2016 Jerry Pat Bolton - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2016-01-30 05:53 PM

Once again you have written a very introspective poem, powerfully penned and thought provoking, dear Jerry.

Sometimes we tend to build boundaries and they can become a prison indeed. While it is great to be independent, we also have a profound need to interact with the outside world. Actually we have to learn to reach out and communicate with others, it is enriching.

Of course there are people who are eremites at heart, but human nature has the ability to find the right balance between extremes.
I think your boundaries are not of the dangerous kind, dear Jerry, because you write and that means you love to share with others your works and your feelings.

So let's stay away from the black abyss of self imposed prisons and let's signal the escape doors in bright sunny colors ...

Love and peace.
Margherita

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2016-01-30 06:30 PM

You got it, Margherita, my days of black, despairing boundaries are over, thank goodness. I look for the light, but recognize completely and watch out for the dark among us. Thank you so much for you your understanding comments.

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
3 posted 2016-01-31 06:26 PM

I guess we build those boundaries from many different circumstances. Your poem is so true because we have tendency to keep our guard up by isolating ourselves. A lot of things, some terrible, some good, affect us in this life. I think we have to be hard and soft at almost the same time. Oxymoron plus.....! Don't mind me....LOL!

However, isolation is never the answer. No matter how hard we try we end up needing each other.
Sometimes simple commendation puts us on top of the world so we shouldn't hold back from commending others who deserve just the same.

true love never looks after it's own interests

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
4 posted 2016-01-31 06:49 PM

Couldn't agree more, Eric. We do have a great need to protect ourselves, sometimes not even knowing why. It is just a mechanical reaction to what befalls us in this life. Its like we are on a never-ending merry-go-round.

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
5 posted 2016-02-24 04:53 AM

Boundaries...Don't like them but I guess we all have to deal with them.

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
6 posted 2016-02-24 08:02 AM

Yep, boundaries are a part of Th our lives, like them or not. Even in those two lost decades of mine I had boundaries, although most people would declare by my observing my actions I had not, but I most certainly did. Thank you Ida.

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
7 posted 2016-02-24 08:18 AM

I agree JP

But poetry can, and does take away the walls of the box...by writing we show there is no bounderies.

Sometimes we become like a Mime, though..
Signing with our hands the binding sides of a box that is not there.

"Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance."
Carl Sandburg

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
8 posted 2016-02-24 08:49 AM

Oh, you are absolutely correct, Ice, poetry can, and does, dissolve many of our boundaries. I am a living testament to that fact. Many thanks for your kind response.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Boundaries

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary