navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Gathering Daisies
Open Poetry #49
Post A Reply Post New Topic Gathering Daisies Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Cari
Posts 411
Englnand

0 posted 2016-01-21 05:04 PM

October skies over Hillcrest Rise
Where hopes subside to compromise
Complete surrender without protest
They settle for the second best
~
Designer phones play tinkle tones
Downloaded from the Rolling Bones
Oh, once again its Tracy here
Gabbling garbage in my ear
~
Hypnotised, mesmerised
Stupor reigns in vacant eyes
Dazzled floss on flat bed screens
Gateway to your plastic dreams
~
Prisoners in their concrete towers
Where nothing grows and nothing flowers
She pours the tea and ponders when
They promised a New Jerusalem
~
Measured time through trickledown years
Strengthens despair, confirms our fears
English fields have no part in the plan
So gather the daisies while you can

© Copyright 2016 Cari - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2016-01-21 05:29 PM

Ahhh . . . You have written this in such a way that I can't help thinking you are observing our younger generation and their complete surrender to this plastic generation. Someday it may come to them that they will need be required to "know" things, math, the correct language, etc., and when thy are unable to produce, they will most likely settle for much lower than second best.

~ If they give you ruled paper, write sideways. ~

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
2 posted 2016-01-21 07:00 PM

With a few word changes, this could be  about any society in the world that is dominated by pop culture.

Well done, Cari.

I liked the line about the Strolling Bones, I mean "Rolling Bones"

"Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance."
Carl Sandburg

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
3 posted 2016-01-21 09:40 PM

Beautifully done Cari, this makes me think of a simpler and richer way of life.  My fondest memories are having our own parade down the street in our neighborhood, playing wagon train with our little red wagons all tied together, washing cars to make a buck. Today I read an article about the beauty of handwritten letters and how it is a dying art.  I also miss vynal records and E tickets. I miss the popsicle man and digging a miniature golf course in our backyard. I miss going to the movies for a dime. Those were the days. Thank you for your poem, I really love it.  Obviously.  
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
4 posted 2016-01-22 11:56 AM

quote:
Hypnotised, mesmerised
Stupor reigns in vacant eyes
Dazzled floss on flat bed screens
Gateway to your plastic dreams

It is discouraging indeed! You rendered this situation in a masterful way, Cari.

I miss all the fragrances of fruit and vegetables and also of the flowers. If we would taste certain food with closed eyes, we wouldn't even be able to say what we actually ate! And the bombardment of "buy, buy, buy this and that"!!

Oh, the joy of Spring flowers discovered before others and enjoyed so intensely! Now in the Alps it is forbidden to gather flowers, but they can be pure joy for those who happen to be lucky enough to behold them.

Thank you for this thought provoking piece.

Margherita

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #49 » Gathering Daisies

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary