navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Witch-hunt
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic Witch-hunt Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia

0 posted 2013-10-03 01:50 PM

You’d hardly detect my name
But make it sound obscene
I’m someone easy to blame
I’m guilty, my eyes are green

My fault, I was born afar
And maybe a bit “too late”
I see, you expect a fight
You fancy it to be straight

The only thing you forgot:
We manage different tools
You still belong to the world
Conforming to other rules

The world of money is tough
So powerful, glamour and proud
Its snobbery makes me laugh
How funny it scorns the crowd

You’re wrapped in all that stuff
But feel exclusive and strange
So being yourself by half
You’re always out of range

I never envied your star
Nor wished to see your fail
I can not compete so far
Believe me, it’s not my scale

You sooner mistake my dreams
They work not to make me rich
Who ever knows what it means
To be an authentic witch

No holidays in Siam
No skiing in Courchevel
But wishing their climes to come
I whisper, and they obey

To warm up my northern sea
To cover my land with snow
I simply draw what I see
Within my ideal show

No Botox or surgeon’s knife
To save my beauty and health
My magic, surely white,
Has nothing to do with spells

There is a key to release
All forces of any rank:
I say just a quiet “please”
And never forget to thank

In public you play a god
With your charismatic light
They catch your every word
But follow my thoughts at night

I wish you could read my mind
It’s sad if you disagree
But all my creative finds
I share with them for free

So this is the way I walk
And look at the heights I’ve passed
I only can’t break the wall
Of your eternal distrust

It’s told as it used to be
My ending has just begun
‘Cause now you direct at me
Your perfect financial gun

Foreseeing a brand-new day
You capture my nightly tale
And think that I have to pay
For everything that you sell

Since our opinions clash
Your laws are rigid and fast
Of course they will simply smash
And humble me to the dust

But I’m not bound to bear
This silly provoking game
Despise me – I do not care
You chose an erroneous aim

I’m sure you would regret
Your war is utterly mad
Just see me exerting that
Red button inside my head

My fantasy kept you safe
From troubles and cruel fate
Don’t force it to make away
With us
Before it’s too late

Believe, I could hardly dare
To cause any harm to you
And still I am not prepared
To give the devil his due

I learn to control my rage
I try to endure pain
I never forget the age
Of love I wish to regain

Imploring my hope to stand
I say “it shall be alright”
My sufferance has no end
My reason is terrified

You’d better bethink yourself
And give up your hate for good…

But if your conscience is deaf
Don’t wait for miracles
Shoot!

© Copyright 2013 Galina Italyanskaya - All Rights Reserved
JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
1 posted 2013-10-03 02:14 PM

Quite an interesting poem, Gale. Read it twice, not because I didn't understand it, but because I did. The ending of it has me looking at it in different ways. When you say "Don’t wait for miracles / Shoot!" one thinks immediately shoot as in shooting some one. But there is another explanation which has nothing to do with bloodshed, and that is "shoot" the scene as in a movie production. This poem goes a long way in explaining why the one you are talking to and yourself drifted apart.

~*~ I don't have to eat sarcasm to recognize the flavor. ~*~

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
2 posted 2013-10-03 03:13 PM

"Quite an interesting poem, Gale. Read it twice, not because I didn't understand it, but because I did. "

Indeed, it goes a very long way...
So long that I thought that nobody is patient enough to read it till the end )
But you've read it twice!
You're my hero! )))

"Shoot" is a play on words. Beyond bloodshed it refers to the line describing his favourite kind of weapon - "financial gun" - because now it's much easier to kill anybody not literally, but by means of financial pressure. And on the other hand the second meaning, that you've noticed, is left, since he makes a show of narrator's dreams and ideas to sell it )))
But the sub-text is: "If you don't understand that you cut the branch which you sit on, then do as you wish, because I can't fight you anyway: the only result of this would be total destruction"
It's not about that how they drifted apart, but how their views differ, and what a madness it is - to pull the common blanket over yourself )
Saying that "He who pays the piper calls the tune", but it's not the whole truth.

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
3 posted 2013-10-04 04:12 AM

Galina, I read this poem yesterday, but wasn’t sure that I understood what the underlying meaning was, and didn’t want to comment until I did.  I see now, from your explanation, that I was more or less correct.  I am sorry that you are feeling this way, but it is good that you see the relationship that was, and the differences that are, for what they are worth and can hold your head high, and smile.  You are worth, and deserve so very, very, very much more than that.  Kudos to you!

Owl

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
4 posted 2013-10-04 10:25 AM

Thank you, Owl, for reading and kind commenting )
Nice to hear from you!

I have to say that this poem expresses not so much my personal resentment against somebody, at whom I maybe never meant to take offence, but more that I dislike the contemporary tendency.
I think that it's not right when people try to measure everything in money. The human world is more than things and relations which you can buy and sell. And let some people like to do their business and make money, because they find it easier to make a settlement in this way, but people are different, and there are those, who doesn't like to sell their time or the fruits of their labour. They more like to do and make something not for money, just because they are not good at appraisal of their work. But in the contemporary world if they sell nothing, they can't get anything, because they have no cash to pay for it. So either they must do what they don't like or even hate to do, or they must disappear from this world.
Well, I exaggerate a bit, but I think that in each community there should be a place for financial relations and for free relations. But now I only meet a plenty of instructions and master-classes about that how to make money of anything, even of the air. And people care about getting cash so much, that they lie to each other constantly. They look into your eyes and assure you that you'll die without their stuff, sometimes even literally, for example in clinics I hear it very often. They like to prescribe some expensive drug on pain of death, but it isn't necessary - they just get their interest from the pharmaceutical company. Or there is a fashion to appropriate ideas. But ideas are common! They even can come into different minds in different places at the same time.
People hide their thoughts to make money of them exclusively: the more secret their idea stays - the more money they get. They don't share useful thoughts for free. They are crazy about money because without money they get nothing.
And when your beloved man tries to go the same way, when he sells to you something, that you invented together, it feels so painful!
Really I don't wanna live in such world (((

Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
5 posted 2013-10-05 03:35 PM

To warm up my northern sea
To cover my land with snow
I simply draw what I see
Within my ideal show

This is a very powerful piece of poetry, dear Galina. You expressed yourself very eloquently and I couldn't agree more with your vision of things.

Margherita

Gale
since 2013-06-10
Posts 578
Russia
6 posted 2013-10-05 05:45 PM

Thank you, Margherita, for reading and commenting!

I hope that in time things will go right, and even the most practical business people will understand, that money is not so worthful thing, and that sometimes to share is better than to sell )
I don't mean their charity which gives them bonuses because it's their PR. I mean that they will remember of those who don't make money, but create ideas and inspire the whole mankind. And people won't be ashamed for those rich men who for millions buy and sell pictures, music and inventions of masters which died from lack of food, forgotten and unknown.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Witch-hunt

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary