navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Fragmented Memories
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fragmented Memories Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2013-04-12 04:17 AM

FRAGMENTED MEMORIES
10 April 2013

Wisps and whispers
of a childhood
hidden inside a vibrant heart,
forever
nature’s companion,
ally
and confidante,
blossoms of youth
in little posies
here and there,
to changing scenes
of prime
in shades of blues
and golds
and secret greys,
wandering into winter’s walk
in panic’s hustle and bustle
with no rocking chair in sight,
shattered promises
and half-remembered dreams
somersaulting down the years
in kaleidoscope patterns,
flowing into colours
and shards
that quiver
and recall birdsong
and beloved solitude
and tears
in the stillness
of
eternity,
never
to return.

Owl

[This message has been edited by OwlSA (04-12-2013 05:00 AM).]

© Copyright 2013 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
katahdin
since 2010-07-01
Posts 1196
ME. In the Shadow of the Mt.
1 posted 2013-04-12 07:49 PM

Beautiful! Enjoyed!
Kat >^..^<

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
2 posted 2013-04-13 02:50 AM

Thank you, Kitty-Kat.  Smiles.

Owl

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
3 posted 2013-04-16 10:50 PM

I really enjoy the metaphoric you include in your poetry and in this one I appreciate most, even though you might be still in the midst of a 'winter's walk', those  gathered 'fragments' that form into 'little blossoms of youth' that you express so pure and childlike here. Again, enjoyed much and thank you.
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
4 posted 2013-04-17 03:50 AM

Thank you for your kind words and for enjoying my poetry.  It is not the winter's walk that worries me.  It is the panic of trying to get a sustainable income so I don't lose my house and my indigenous garden forest and thus also my dog and cat, and the connection with my daughter who lived here and gave me some of the trees as birthday and Christmas presents and who hates me and rejected me well over 20 years ago.  But hey!  I don't feel sorry for myself (I empathise with those who have less than I do), but I find panic is less easy to handle than most things, but I am trying to mould and redirect panic into success.  I'm rambling.  I have done that all too often, all my life.  Smiles.

Owl

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
5 posted 2013-04-18 04:04 PM

I do enjoy your poetry, I do, and I do realize that there is a lot of economic upheaval going on right now in South Africa as there is all over and I know it's a long shot and that many of the financial type programs are currently on hold, but maybe there’s a list or seminar to attend or maybe it’s still active or something, but, anyways, after reading your reply, the idea that came to my mind was ‘reverse mortgage’ (seniors’ finance / SF HELP).

Reverse Mortgage

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
6 posted 2013-04-18 04:39 PM

Thank you Bob, for the suggestion – I did open the link and have a look at it - but the very last thing I want is another loan.  I had to take out a second mortgage (that then became combined with the first one) on my house in 2005 for increased security measures – a very high strong metal palisade fence with spikes on the external boundary, spikes and razor wire on top of the walls between me and my neighbours because criminals "yard-hop", an electronic gate an electronic garage door and 7 external lights (all of whose globes but one have all currently blown, lol!) - and debt terrifies me.  No, what I need is to get business coming in – I am very good at what I do, as vain as that may sound – I develop databases for companies and individuals and I offer Afrikaans lessons (I was a school teacher most of my adult life – and could offer French and Beginner Zulu lessons as well, but that is more diversification than I have time for) and I have an advertisement idea that could bring me in some pocket money and that I am going to put into practice.  HOWEVER, the kindness behind your thought, brightened my evening considerably and put yet another smile on my face.  I just have to make business happen, by prayer, supplication, hard work, smart thinking and a change in approach.  Simple (or not, lol)!

Owl

Marchmadness
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 9271
So. El Monte, California
7 posted 2013-04-20 04:03 PM

Love this poem, Diana but I so sorry to hear about your problems and I know how you must feel. I don't know how you deal with the crime situation there. I grieve for what our world is becoming. I pray that you find a way to keep your home.
                          Love, Ida

OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2013-04-21 05:01 AM

Thank you, Ida.  You are a sweetie.  Being very involved in the local Sector Policing forum and the local Neighbourhood Watch, it is easier to do something about the crime, than an income, but yes, when crime strikes, it doesn't matter how much one has tried, whoever gets hit, is hit hard.  Thank you for your kind wishes.  I am certainly trying hard, but that is not the same as succeeding.

Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » Fragmented Memories

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary