navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » 08-23-03
Open Poetry #48
Post A Reply Post New Topic 08-23-03 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California

0 posted 2012-06-27 08:05 PM

08-23-03

The sky was velvet, the lake like glass.
I stepped forth barefoot, across the grass.
Before the cliff soft echoes stirred
Up some windless stair in search of word.

There I stood, frozen, and not by chance…
For in the lake the sky seemed to dance.
But having learned not to trust these eyes,
I pinched myself ‘fore looking to the skies.

Yet even there splendor came calling,
Bringing to me the stars in falling…
With a debonair caught in the air gleam
Lovely Luna next me could but credit dream.

So I watched till dawn laid claim the sky,
A brilliant sunrise met but with sigh.

Michael Anderson

Did I waste it?
Not so much I couldn't taste it.

Bono

© Copyright 2012 Michael Anderson - All Rights Reserved
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
1 posted 2012-06-27 08:10 PM

I don't know how to describe these excellent adjectives, metaphors and word visions other than beautiful!
I went on the trip and loved it!

Eric

true love never looks after it's own interests

JerryPat2
Member Laureate
since 2011-02-06
Posts 16975
South Louisiana
2 posted 2012-06-27 08:16 PM

Sometimes the elements astound us to the point to where we wonder if we are really seeing what we are looking at. And the "Lovely Luna" can astound us more often than all the rest.

~*~ If they give you lined paper, write sideways. ~*~

Startime1955
since 2012-04-22
Posts 1072
Alberta, Canada
3 posted 2012-06-27 08:46 PM

*sigh*...I floated through this vision and landed with a sigh as well...a total joy to read...*BIG HUGS*

*may our dreams ever be magical*

Nicole
since 1999-06-23
Posts 1835
Florida
4 posted 2012-06-27 08:47 PM

What a lovely, wistful longing in this Michael.  It makes me smile to read this side of you.  It reminds me that we are all sitting under, and gazing up at, the same night sky.  It is bittersweet how distances can be shortened and heightened all in the same breath.  This is lovely.  
luminosity
since 2005-11-18
Posts 813

5 posted 2012-06-28 02:38 PM

ah now if only I weren't so exhausted to be able to sit up up and watch this with you...
guess I will do the next best thing...go and read it again...*s*

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
6 posted 2012-06-28 04:34 PM

You have written so many brilliant poems... This is one of your most beautiful!!

Thank you for sharing it with us!!

Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
7 posted 2012-06-29 06:31 PM

Eric, it was a lovely scene…  I didn’t do it near justice with this brief piece.

JP, yeah, the elements are capable of doing just that.  I recall looking up at that sky and being completely overcome with a feeling of peace and at the same time, insignificance with all I had deemed essential in my life up to that point.  BTW, this is the result from your little nudge…  I did some serious soul searching for something joyous I could write about…  I hope you can settle for peaceful.  Either way, it’s not the same ol’ dark gibberish.  Glad you enjoyed.

Startime1955, lol… I really didn’t start sighing till I had to be at work at 7:00 that morning.  It was worth all the anguish though.

Nicole, I share that feeling when I read a lot of your posts as well.  There really can’t be that many miles separating someone who can make me feel like that.

Luminosity, the August meteor showers are an annual event.  This particular version I wrote about was one of the first times I was able to witness it from my mountain home in Tehachapi, CA.  I literally brought pillows out of the house and lay in the back of my pickup all night looking up.  There were very few times that night where the sky wasn’t lit up with at least 3 shooting stars all at once.  I cringed to have to leave that home and move back down into the smog filled valley I live in now.

Ruth, thank you.  I don’t have a lot of confidence when writing like this.  That may be a good thing as well…  I certainly don’t seem so long winded, either.  

Michael

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
8 posted 2016-08-30 12:58 PM

Love your nature poems, Michael....this reminded me of being up by lake Superior, although I don't think it's ever been as still as glass. It's more like an ocean. Your sunrise here is beautiful.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #48 » 08-23-03

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary